Problem with POI on latest map version

I received a replacement refurbished Go 630 and I downloaded the latest map version which I think was version 860...and I noticed 1 thing about the POIs, whenever I select a particular POI on my previous map, the POI would how the phone no. and when you click on the DETAILS button it will show the physical address. The new version does not have that feature, it does not show the DETAIL button or a physical address. Is this a fluke?

No, it is the result of the crpoi.dat file no longer included in the latest map. It was that file that contained the additional data you saw.

TT is struggling to keep everything under 2 gigs for each map release. Removing this file which is 150 megs in size is one way TT achieved the size limit of the map.

If you have a backup of the file from a previous map, try copying it to the 860 map folder on the new unit. It may still work.

I wonder if TomTom checks the available space on your device before deciding to remove the 'crpoi.dat' file with a map update? The reason I ask is that on my XL-335TM (with the 860 map installed) that file is still there. I was going to copy over that file from my backups to the map directory as dhn suggests, but it was already there. I have nearly 200 megs of free space on the XL-335TM with the latest map. There's actually more free space with the 860 map then there was with the 855 map, so TomTom had to remove something. :confused:

The phone number of POI is very nice to have. I've used it often.

I wonder if TomTom checks the available space on your device before deciding to remove the 'crpoi.dat' file with a map update?
In a word, no. There are a couple of versions of the map that are distributed based upon the model you own. The North_America_2GB map is the map where the crpoi file was eliminated, and that map happens to be the one for the 630. Of interest, it's the one for my 720 and 740 as well. Even the more comprehensive POI version for the 9XX units that Arno makes available to us here has dropped the crpoi file. Annoying, but that's what we've got at the moment.

canderson, I see 3 backup folders on mine and 2 of them shows a crpoi.dat file in the North Amewrican folder, is this the crpoi.dat file that I need to copy and paste? and where shoud I paste it?

You could take the POI and matching CRPOI and BRANDS folder from your 855 map download. You won't have more recent POI data that way, but you'll get your info back.

I have never tried a mix-and-match of a POI file set from one of the other map distributions on either of my units, so can't say if that would fly. You could post over in the ONE/START/EASE/XL/XXL threads to see if someone there can put a package together for you as a *.zip on a file server somewhere. That's how Arno provides us with the larger POI set from his 930 unit.

Before you toss the 3 file set into your map folder, be sure you back up a set of what you've got now.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/

canderson, I see 3 backup folders on mine and 2 of them shows a crpoi.dat file in the North Amewrican folder, is this the crpoi.dat file that I need to copy and paste? and where shoud I paste it?
Take the most recent that is NOT 860 (should be 855) and copy the following into your North_America_2GB folder:

poi.dat file
crpoi.dat file
brands folder

You can tell which set is which in your backups by looking at the file North_America_2GB.pna with a text editor / word processor. The map version number will be there in clear text.

What didn't work? There's no reason that I can imagine that taking your previous POI data from the 855 map shouldn't work OK.

Sorry, Canderson. I didn't see your latest post. My backup folder 3 has map version 860, but, my backup folder 2 has version 845. I didn't have version 85xx because I sent in my defective 630. Do I copy all of the files you mentioned earlier and replace the new files or just have both files?

I might not have copied all of the files since I missed your latest post on which files to copy. But, before I continue I just wanted to know whether I should copy and replace the latest 860 files into the North American folder in my latest backup folder and then restore it back into my device using TT Home?

I might not have copied all of the files since I missed your latest post on which files to copy. But, before I continue I just wanted to know whether I should copy and replace the latest 860 files into the North American folder in my latest backup folder and then restore it back into my device using TT Home?
Sorry - in and out - and will be out for a few hours in a couple of minutes.

You just take the 2 files and the 1 folder I mentioned and copy them right over the ones on your unit. You already have them saved in your 860 backup if you need to revert to those.

Ask a Question