Problem with new One Classic (30 series)

TomTom Model(s)
One - Model 30
Hi All

This forum seems infinitely more helpful than TomTom's support, so I thought I'd try with my problems with a new TomTom One Classic.

We received it from my wife's work, brand new, and it worked fine on a trip from Paris to the interior of France. However, the maps & radar were quite out of date.

So, when I got home, I read the instructions, plugged it into my computer with Vista64 with the supplied USB cable, and installed Home. Then, went ahead and tried to update it with new maps/radar.

After that, everything went to hell. The update went extremely slowly. Then, an hour and a half later or so, it said that the "Western Europe Occidental" database couldn't be installed. Windows Vista started popping up errors about the memory being corrupt. When unplugged, the GPS found the database but said that it couldn't be used.

Using this forum, I figured out how to backup the GPS memory and then reformat the card. It successfully reinstalled the GPS software, and I guess that it downloaded the map initially, because it said that the map was located on my computer.

I've tried to install that map, and two hours later it's still not on there.

To make a long story short, how can I reinitialize everything, and where do I find the maps that I'm entitled to with this product? And how do I install them? Is it normally incredibly slow to update?

Also, I'm very confused about updates, what I'm entitled to, etc. It's absolutely not clear at all.

I think that like a large class of other electronica, their support section is designed to confuse you into buying their updates without actually helping you. It would be nice to not waste a lot of time trying to figure this stuff out. (5 hours and counting).

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, have a look in the following folder on your PC:

Documents/ TomTom/ HOME/ Download/ complete/ map/ Western_Europe_2GB

In the folder will be 5 files the important ones are:

activation_map_12345.cab (the number part will differ on your PC)
Western_Europe_2GB.zip (this will be the largest file)

If you can find these then we can assist in getting your map back on the device without resorting to the use of TomTom Home - Mike

Ask a Question