"Problem with Map"

TomTom Model(s)
XL-330
Well I'm pretty disappointed with by brand new XL330 experience so far. Used it going to work yesterday and all was good. Got home and decided to install and use the Home program and get the free upgrade to the USA and Canada map.

It took quite some time to download and about 60 percent through the process the server error-ed out. I resumed the download and in the process of installing the map to the device it error-ed out again... and won't install the map. I have gone through the process of manually installing the downloaded map that I found here.
Disconnected the TT from the computer the proper way and booted the device. Got a message about the activation being needed and it gave me a 10 digit number in two 5 number segments and said to go to TTcode.com. According to TTCode.com it needs to be a 15 digit code in three 5 number segments. Did some more searching around here on the board and reallized I had not copied the .meta.dct file to the map folder on the device.

Went through the whole map copy process one more time (this time copying the .meta.dct file) and I now sit here with the device saying "Problem with map. You cannot use this map on this device: USA_and_Canada."

Anyone have any suggestions?

Screenshot of the error is attached

I tried the ClearFlash utility. No luck.

Attachments

• tomtom.jpg
    tomtom.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 553
It's possible that the Tomtom flash drive has run out of space, as HOME often gives the "wrong" error when that happens.

If clearflash doesn't work, try:

1) run "update my GO" repeatedly until you have app 8.351
2) then remove all your computer voices in "Manage my GO"
3) then close HOME
4) then rename mydocuments\tomtom\home\download to mydocuments\tomtom\home\downloadOLD
5) then reopen HOME
6) then try to run "latest map guarantee" and/or "update my GO" to download and install the map again
7) then go to "add voices" to reinstall your favorite comptuer voice. There's a good chance that multiple voices won't fit since the maps have become so big
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-go-630-720-720t-730-730t-740-750/19981-activation-code.html

What firmware version are you running? not sure if its gonna be the same for your unit as the unit they are talking about.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll give it a try after work today.

I just tried using Home to update the files from the computer. (I forgrt the actual menu name) and got the following error.
ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: G:\USA_and_Canada\cnode.dat
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
000003EE
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1058
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:35:05 GMT

Reset your unit (hold the power button for about 10 seconds on your model) then tap the satellite bars. That gives your application version number. Now, tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and its version.

What does that show?

Sorry, we cross posted.

I have done that but can never get past the error screen. Well, actually, I do but it's just a white screen. Nothing to click/tap on. I'll have to use 'Home' to view that when I get out of work. I had looked earlier but did not make note of the version.

If you connect the unit to the computer (not Home) and use Explorer, you'll see a file in the US_CAN map folder ending with the extension of .pna. Open with notepad and at the end of the first line or in the fourth line, you'll see a value. It should show something like '835' or '840'.

Also, did you run the Clear Flash tool 3 times? If not, please do that.

USA_and_Canada.pna
ID=USA_and_Canada.pna
build=2561
id=381582

Map Version is being reported as: 840.2561
Size: 822 MB

Ran ClearCache.exe 3 times and all appears to be working now. I'll have to go for a spin and check it out.

Thank you for your help!

And that shows you do have the latest map installed on your unit.

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup before you do anything else!

Just copied everything to \Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup

Is it considered "Best Practice" to just backup with Windows Explorer instead of the built in backup feature of 'Home'?

Thanks again for your help.

Same Problem

I have the same problem as the OP with my XL330S, so I won't rehash the details. I've tried all the suggestions in this post and tried the clear flash tool, running it 3 times. The only way I can get the maps onto my device is by unzipping the map file that I downloaded, deleting the maps on the TomTom via Explorer, and copying it manually via Windows Explorer. Home always fails to completely load the files.

Clearly I should have backed up first. But the first thing Home did was ask me to update and it never prompted me to backup, so I didn't really think about it. I've successfully updated both Garmin and Magellan products several times, so I guess I fell asleep on proper device updating etiquette.

I've spent hours working on this over the last several days. The file copy via Home takes over 4 hours before it fails. And the file copy via Explorer takes over 4 hours to complete, but leaves me with the 'you can't use this map on this device" error.

At this point I'm obviously beyond frustrated. I suspect there's a problem with the flash in my device based on the crazy slow copy times. But if anybody has any ideas about what I can try to fix this, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

I'm going to assume the map you download was obtained from TomTom and your unit is a legitimately purchased model without hacked software (that causes those kind of error messages).

See if there is a file in the specific map folder on your unit that ends with an extension of .meta.dict. It is that file that 'validates' the legitimacy of the map.

If it is not there, look back in the compressed map file you downloaded to the computer. There should be (beside the map) another .cab file with just the .meta.dct file in it. Extract that file to the map folder on your unit.

Also, if you connect your unit to Home, it may offer an application update. If so, accept it as I understand it may speed up the copying times for files to and from unit to computer

good info

dhn,

Thank you, that's great info. I figured I was missing some little detail that someone like yourself might know. I'm still concerned that I can't load the files via Home without error and that it takes so long to download, but as long as I can get it to work I'll be happy.

I don't have the device with me here at work, so I'll check for the meta.dict file later tonight. There were a couple other files alongside the .zip, but I didn't pay much attention to them. And thanks for trusting my legitmacy - I bought the unit for my daughter for XMas from Best Buy and did download the maps via TomTom Home. So everything should be up to par in that regard.

Thanks.

dhn,

Thank you, the dict file is indeed what was missing. I installed it last night and now have maps on the device. I had a little problem with the poi.dat file. Seems like it didn't copy in its entirety, but after deleting it and copying it over again using Explorer all seems well.

Ask a Question