Problem with acquiring signal after updating map

Hello All.

I recently had some issues getting my maps updated, as per the thread below.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-xl/17579-one-xl-map-update-error-clnie-dat.html

But with the help of everyone here, the maps are updated, and all was well. Or so I thought.

My One XL is having a really hard time getting a satellite lock for some reason. If I stay not moving for a few minutes, it can usually find one, and then Im OK. But before, it would only be a few seconds to acquire the signal. Also, if I am driving and have not yet locked on, I now cant get it to recognize where I am. Before the update it would find me after a few minutes.

Is there something going on with the satellites or did I break something during my manual updating of my maps?

Moving while not having a signal lock is not a good idea. Just makes it harder and takes longer.

There appears to have been a faulty gpsquickfix file about a week ago. Have you used Home to get a newer one?

Also, a reset of the unit sometimes helps.

Thanks for the quick response DHN.

I usually try to get a fix before I start moving, and I know that slows things down, but usually it catches up at the next stoplight or intersection. etc. Today I drove for close to half an hour and it still did not pick up my location. Definitely unusual.

Also if I use the GPS to take me to a location, turn it off while I am inside or working, then turn it on again when I leave, it gets a signal almost immediately. Lately this is taking a few minutes to do, even when I have not moved the device at all.

i have re-connected to HOME, and I dont see anything about a quick fix file. Where would this be if I am manually browsing the device?

What is the best way to reset the unit? I saw a post about holding the power button down for 15 seconds, but that doesnt seem to do anything other than turn on or turn off my unit.

Resetting a Tomtom is dependent on the model. Some you hold down the power button for 15+ seconds. Others have a small pin hole on the bottom that you use a pen tip or something to depress a recessed button.

In Tomtom home with the device connected pressure Update my One. QuickGPSfix should be one of the updates in the list. Usually you get a daily map share and quickgpsfix file...

Try that stuff first. If I keep my TT updated with the latest QuickGPSfix I usually obtain signal before the map screen even pops up.

I think Im getting somewhere!

I didnt have the gpsfix option even on my device. It wasnt even an option in my list of downloads. The program itself never made it back onto my device after I was monkeying around with things I suppose. I found the item listed in home under "Items on your computer" and re-added it back onto the device.

I pushed an update, and it found the latest files for gpsfix. So Ill have to take it outside tomorrow and see how quickly it grabs a signal. Thanks for the help everyone!

I think Im getting somewhere!

I didnt have the gpsfix option even on my device. It wasnt even an option in my list of downloads. The program itself never made it back onto my device after I was monkeying around with things I suppose. I found the item listed in home under "Items on your computer" and re-added it back onto the device.

I pushed an update, and it found the latest files for gpsfix. So Ill have to take it outside tomorrow and see how quickly it grabs a signal. Thanks for the help everyone!

Glad you got that part figured out. However I'm prone to think a manual reset is going to help more. Let us know how it works out....

quickgpsfix files are only good for about a week. If you loaded an older one it won't help.

When you go to "Update my XL" you should get a new quickgpsfile about once a day. If that's not happening, then do the following steps:

1) delete everything in the ephem folder on your tomtom

2) delete everything in the location below:
My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\ephemeris

Then see if "Update my XL" gives you another file

Hello. Im having the same problems, i have a Tomtom XL and it began to take too long to acquire the GPS signal.
I ran the CD, made all updates available and the problem is still the same. When im in a street it thinks im in another street seems the XL is out focus. And because of that it takes 10mns or more to get a GPS signal with my car stopped. What can i do if the cd program is saying ive got all the updates??

Use Home and try to acquire a new gpsquickfix file.

Also, try a reset for your unit.

Do I have to download the gpsquickfix file every time I want to update the signal? Or does it do it automatically when I connect to TT Home?

You do not have to download the file.....ever. Even if it is offered via 'Update My Unit'. there are those who never download the file and their units work ok without the updated files.

Others find they seem to 'grab' a signal faster with a current file.

Choice is yours.

I gave up using the qGPS or aGPS as it is sometimes called quite some time ago as its simply not required if you use the device on a regular basis as it can work out some of the data it needs from the signal it receives - After I suffered a number of "off-road" excursions according to the GPS display while the car was still actually on the highway, these errors were attributed to poor qGPS data so I simply stopped using it and don't notice any slowness in signal acquisition as a result. The added plus point is the device never shows me off road either qGPS is yet another of those wonderfully over-hyped terms latched on to by the sales and marketing team - Mike

Ask a Question