preferences choices

I have a rider 2.

sometimes I use it as a point to point guide and it does okay as long as it recognizes the roads I want to go on. actually this is something I am not wild about with the tomtom because it figures out and decides what roads you should be taking otherwise you get the dreaded "turn around when possible" or "turn right and then turn right" - it does whatever it can to get you on that road it thinks you should be on instead of calculating a new route based on where you are.

but anyhoo . . . . I need help understanding how the totmtom thinks when different Planning Preferences are chosen. for example, what are the differences between a walking route and a bicycle route? or between a fastest route and a shortest route, for that matter.

previously I have used a garmin and I like the ability to enter a bunch of waypoints and have the garmin show me a compass and a heading and a distance to the next waypoint, no questions asked. if I do this on the tomtom the thing tries to figure out where it thinks I want to go based on it's internal maps and then seems to over ride the waypoints, and tells me to "turn around when possible".

maybe the tomtom is incapable of functioning like the garmin? I don't know, but it's very frustratiing. on a recent semi off road trip I programmed both units using mapsource for the garmin and tyre for the tomtom. it's a good thing I took the garmin because the tomtom had no idea of what was going on and just stayed confused and was totally useless.

so if I program a route in tyre marking lots of waypoints along the way, what Planning Preferences setting do I use to get the tomtom to follow a waypoint by waypoint route?

I generally leave mine on "fastest route" for most rides. If I decide to take a slightly different route along the way, it does indeed recalculate after a certain point. Sometimes it is almost immediate, other times takes a few miles, just depending on how many available roads there are in the area to turn around to your original route.

I have never tried the walking or bicycling options, but the "shortest route" I have used on occasion. For example, if I ride from home to Halifax, NS (approx 4400km), and use the fastest route, it takes me entirely thru the States, if I use the shortest, it uses most of Canada, etc.

If I want to set up a route to my own liking, I just use the Itinerary planner and set up a bunch of waypoints. Works very well for me.

I do not use Tyre or any other route planner, as I have personally had to no need to use anything other than what is available on my Rider2.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Cheers

Last edited:
I have never tried the walking or bicycling options, but the "shortest route" I have used on occasion. For example, if I ride from home to Halifax, NS (approx 4400km), and use the fastest route, it takes me entirely thru the States, if I use the shortest, it uses most of Canada, etc.
I always thought I had a good feel for directions and thought fastest would go from Chicago via Lansing, MI, Sarnia,ON to Montreal and then along the South Shore.
To prove you wrong (hah !) I fired up the 930 with the 8.15 map and lo-and-behold, you were right, almost States side only for the fastest.
Now, checking on the shortest it wants to take the Bar Harbor - Yarmouth ferry.
Made a screen print and started typing this and thought maybe Google makes for a better picture.
Google restored my faith in my directional instinct!
Also, at 39 hours and (City centers) 3967 km it takes 1 hour 12 minutes longer than TomTom's 4043 km.
Cheers,
Arno

Last edited:
Heres the really odd thing...

I have riden to NS many times from home (just south of Winnipeg) and have for the most part stayed in Canada with the exception of staying in the States up to Sault Ste Marie, then stay in Canada to the East coast.

This year for a change, I took the route the GPS suggested as being the fastest, even though it was about 400km longer. I did ignore the part about taking the Cat ferry as I say no time savings in that.

Here is my results.

If I take the first route mentioned, I have done it in 3 days. Taking the "fastest route" takes me 4......

I generally ride long hard days, averaging around 13-1400km per day.

The Rider doesn't have IQroutes, so it uses road class for routing. Thus it keeps to interstates a lot even if sideroads are faster. To make things worse, the Canada highways are classed lower than the American highways (different map vendors, maybe), and that results in Tomtom trying as much as possible to keep you in the US.

IQroutes pretty much solves this issue, as it uses historical road speeds and does a really good job of fastest route. However, IQroutes only runs for the first 300 miles or so, then drops to non-IQroutes road-class routing for the remainder of the trip since it takes less time to plan the route.

Once you stop for 5 minutes (gas, food, etc), the Tomtom will recalculate your route with IQroutes for 300 miles from your stop. So although the initial route planned on a 930 will look funny, it will be good for the first 300 miles, and will likely autoadjust to a good route as you drive the entire way.

The Rider doesn't have IQroutes, so it uses road class for routing. Thus it keeps to interstates a lot even if sideroads are faster. To make things worse, the Canada highways are classed lower than the American highways (different map vendors, maybe), and that results in Tomtom trying as much as possible to keep you in the US.
There may be valid reason for that faster speed.
A couple of months ago I drove to Vancouver, BC and the speed limits in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and the eastern parts of Washington state were considerably higher than in Canada.
(Not to mention west Texas. Almost thought I was on the Autobahn again.)

Ask a Question