Power Instalation in the car for the TT

TomTom Model(s)
One New Edition
I really dont like the cigarette charger cable in my car so I was thinking about cutting the cigarette part of and extending the lead and installing it in the car that its permanently on the battery.

Is there anything that speaks against that? Or is there such a cable available?

I really dont like the cigarette charger cable in my car so I was thinking about cutting the cigarette part of and extending the lead and installing it in the car that its permanently on the battery.

Is there anything that speaks against that? Or is there such a cable available?

I recommend doing this...I actually did it in my Matrix today....

I ran a wire from my battery through the firewall for POS, and attached a wire to the body for NEG..... and a cig plug socket with a fuse...its all hidden under the dash, the wire runs along the gap between the dash and the glass....

I actually have a factory styled switch in one of the "blank" spaces...I can turn it on or off as needed.... I plan to install a Sony MiniDV battery charger, and a "usb" charger (for various USB charging devices, cell, ipod, etc...)

I would take many photos, but my work is not pretty like that of others :))
:D ....

This way you do not need to modify your tomtom cables....

You could simply use a "tap in " connecter to some other 12V source in your car....just make SURE that you use a fuse,and any circutry that is inside the PLUG portion of the device, as the cable steps down 12V to 5V....

For my other car I have an ebay cable that puts out 5.1 instead of 5.0....but this is close enough as the window mount has VRs and FCs that stablize it. (that is not even considering +/- 5/10 tolerance)....There has been much debate here on the forum in regards to this....

The safest bet it to install a hidden CIG socket with the wire nicely route to the tomtom.

The safest bet it to install a hidden CIG socket with the wire nicely route to the tomtom.
I'm fortunate enough to have one in my center console. I cut the wires and made them longer, ran the wire uner my center console, up behind the dash and thru a VERY SMALL opening/seem in the dash in an inconspicuis place. My 500 has an in-dash storage area right up top so when not plugged in the wire hides nicely in there....

Ask a Question