Possible to set up my 720 to turn on when the vehicle turns on?

However, I can think of another reasons why this may not be such a good idea:

When the power is removed, the unit probably won't have time to cleanly shut itself down.

GOOD POINT !!

Certainly thought about that very issue.... before I committed to the final install.

Before installation was even started, I actually power cycled the unit numerous [hour or so] times in a bench setting. Maybe luck?....but the unit didn't display any signs of distress.

Went ahead and mounted in vehicle. The installation was approximatly 2 years ago. Maybe my luck is still continuing.... cause the TTOne is working just fine to this very day.

Yes. With the absence of a battery to draw power from, the unit will shut down when the source is removed & restart whenever it's applied.

However, I can think of another reasons why this may not be such a good idea:

When the power is removed, the unit probably won't have time to cleanly shut itself down.
You have identified the key issue in all of this. Any user who removes the battery to get the effects desired MUST remember to shut the unit off with the main button FIRST before killing the external power or recent changes will be lost.

Many devices write changed information to flash at power-down time instead of as the changes are made to that information, and the TT is no exception. Changes are "collected" in the volatile (working) memory and written all at once at the end -- has to do with the nature of writing to flash -- although it's far better than it used to be, it's still slow and has an finite write life.

The TomTom expects to write certain information (preference changes, current destination, and a bunch of other stuff) to flash at shut-down. If you just pull the plug, so to speak, that cannot happen.

Ask a Question