Possible to set up my 720 to turn on when the vehicle turns on?

Hey guys sorry if the answer to this question is an obvious yes as I'm hoping it'll be. I've looked through the menus a number of times without any luck so I figured I'd ask here. Is it possible to setup the 720 to turn on when I turn on my vehicle? I just bought this thing and am quickly getting annoyed at having to press the power button for a few seconds EVERY time I restart the car. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys sorry if the answer to this question is an obvious yes as I'm hoping it'll be. I've looked through the menus a number of times without any luck so I figured I'd ask here. Is it possible to setup the 720 to turn on when I turn on my vehicle? I just bought this thing and am quickly getting annoyed at having to press the power button for a few seconds EVERY time I restart the car. Thanks in advance!

In an old firmware version, you could get 'auto-on' for the unit. That option no longer exists though many have requested that TomTom re-introduce the option in some new firmware. Sadly, not yet ..

One more suggestion. You mention holding the button down a few seconds. Version 8 of the firmware greatly shortens the amount of time you have to hold the button down. It is more like a quick press then holding it down for serveral seconds. I know the amount of time you use to have to hold down the on/off button irritated me in version 7.

Actually I've only see the auto on feature on the x10 and x00 units. I've notice the pattern that these units have the power cig connected to the mount and not the device. The new units have the Cig lighter connected to the device itself, which doesn't not have this feature and I've never seen.

auto power on feature

is it possible to use x10 firmware on x20 unit
to obtain auto power on feature?
thanks

I would doubt it. You need current firmware to deal with version 8 maps and current firmware for the 910, even if it could be ported to the Go line of models --- which I doubt -- does not have the auto on functionality, either. Sorry.

I would like an auto shut off. My cig lighter is always powered so I have to manually turn it off (and on) each time..

is it possible to use x10 firmware on x20 unit
to obtain auto power on feature?
thanks

No it would not. This is more of a hardware feature because the x10 units connects the power to the dock and not the actual unit.
With the x40 range, they have created a mount like the x10 range.

I would like an auto shut off. My cig lighter is always powered so I have to manually turn it off (and on) each time..
Howzit gonna know? No movement more than x feet (have to account for coordinate drift) and no touchscreen input for x minutes? That could work -- until you get stuck in snow or traffic :p, but with luck, that won't be a regular event.

Apparently, no movement for about 15 minutes with firmware 8.3 causes a shutdown of the unit.

Last edited:
One way to Auto-On

I did find a way to make a TomTom "auto power-on" but I wouldn't recommend it:

1) Disable your unit's power-saving (if applicable), so that it doesn't go to sleep.

2) Completely drain your TomTom's battery by using it for a few hours, unplugged.

3) Plug your TomTom into a "switched" plug in your car (one that goes off when the car's off).

4) Start your car & the unit will come on, as the battery changes.

5) When you shut off the car, the TomTom won't go to sleep & the battery will drain out again.

6) If you routinely take small trips, the unit will continue this "auto-on" behavior, as you greatly decrease (ie. ruin) its battery's lifespan! :D

I discovered this "method" accidentally on my old ONE...

-R

Last edited:
Or simply remove the internal battery and the unit will operate just fine with a ignition switched +12V current [wired to your TT ciggy adapter of course]
There are several other [powering] methods in wiring up powered USB plugs as long as you've stepped down from 12V to 5V. I've also dis-assembled a TTOne and mounted the screen [in-dash] sans the exterior case for a near OEM look. This is a great setup for folks desiring a permanent, in-dash installation.

I do the same thing with my Laptops [battery removed] , because I leave mine on 24/7 in the truck [12V inverter in vehicle] and my internet and MajicJack are always powered and on.

Last edited:
Apparently, no movement for about 15 minutes with firmware 8.3 causes a shutdown of the unit.
Guess when (if) I ever get back to trying the replacement for 8.3, I'll have a look at that. I'd like to see them add a "no touch screen activity" to the 15 minute limit (per above msg), though. I can spend quite a bit of time setting up a full day's geocaching run as a set of itineraries.

Or simply remove the internal battery and the unit will operate just fine with a ignition switched +12V current [wired to your TT ciggy adapter of course]
Yes! That would be the proper way to do it. That way the trip's duration wouldn't matter. And of course, no worries about the battery, either.

auto power on

I do not mind to remove battery to have auto power on.
I dont understand though, why unit will power on itself
on the external power appearance?
IS this a solid info?
Just do not want to waste time removing battery.
thanks

I'm not gonna try it, YOU try it...

I do not mind to remove battery to have auto power on.
I dont understand though, why unit will power on itself
on the external power appearance?
IS this a solid info?
Yes. With the absence of a battery to draw power from, the unit will shut down when the source is removed & restart whenever it's applied.

However, I can think of another reasons why this may not be such a good idea:

When the power is removed, the unit probably won't have time to cleanly shut itself down. Imagine unplugging your computer every time you get up from your desk. Hope it wasn't writing to any critical files at the time...

Linux is pretty robust & has some good disk auto-recovery tools build into it (which, btw, will cause a longer start-up time as they're used), but I wouldn't be surprised if NavCore re-installations become required more frequently as a result of using this method.

Ask a Question