POI's Along Route

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720, Go 730, Go 740 Live, Go 1535 Live
I'm having problems with listing POI's (Rest Areas Combined) "Along Route" not showing. I know they are in the ov2 files because they will show up as list as POI "Near You". In the past, if I was on a long trip and was navigating to destination, I would "Travel Via, POI, POI Along Route, Rest Areas Combined, " and a list of upcoming Rest Areas would be displayed. Now all I get is "No POI Found". Anyone else having this problem?

You didn't mention which model you are having that problem on, but I feel your pain. I have a GO 730 and there's something strange about the way it fails to display 3rd-party POI's. I just downloaded all McDonald's sites in the US. The .ov2 file and .bmp files both have the same name, and both are correctly located in the North American map file. I can find them by any means EXCEPT for Along Route, and they do not show up on the moving display which would be really useful and was actually the only reason that I downloaded them.

Is there a really advanced tecnical guru out there who can explain this? Do we need to get some reference to these third party POI's into the poi.dat file and, if so, how easy is that to modify without totally screwing up the operation of the unit?

Preferences-->Show POI on map and all custom ov2 files you downloaded (as long as you placed them in the specific map folder) and the built in categories will appear. Just check the ones you want to see on the map.

Don't get carried away as too many poi categories showing as once can really slow down the screen refresh.

My new 740 has a strange quirk about pois not being found - I asked for a POI in a city I named. It flashed the POI that I wanted in a list and then switched over to say no POIs were found. It did it several times in a row and then finally stayed on the POI that had flashed by. It was as if it were tempting me with a glance at the POI I wanted before changing to not found.

OK, here maybe a weird fix. My McDonalds POI file originally had simply latitude, longitude, and the store name (like "McDonalds-Holden). Did not have phone numbers. The McD's did NOT show up on the map, nor could they be found along the route.

But I noticed that my Marriott POI's DID show up along the route. They had the same information, but also contained a carat (>) and then a phone number.

Soooo . . . I edited my McD .ov2 file to add a carat at the end of each entry, then placed the modified file back in my North American folder. Guess what?? Mickey D's show up on the driving map AND they can be found by searching Along Route!!!

It looks like for good health you need to eat your carrots and for good POI files you need to add your carats.

Civil Thanks. I'll give that fix a try out this weekend. I have a 730 as well. Have already checked to show this POI category. The thing is the ov2 file used to work for along route, but I'm not sure if a TT upgrade has interfered with it. There are thousands of entries in this POI file. If it works, guess I'll have to start with my most common routes. I'll let you guys know if it works out.

Fixed it!

Eureka! Easy!

1. Went back to POI factory and downloaded the same file (RestAreasCombined) but in Garmin .csv format.
2. Went to tomtom.gps-data-team.com
3. Used their conversion tool CSV to OV2
4. Copied newly created OV2 file to NA map folder.
5. Presto! Rest Areas now show on map and will list as "POI along Route"

Must have been something not quite right with the downloaded OV2 version.
Can you believe I was trying to blame a TT update....

Eureka! Easy!

1. Went back to POI factory and downloaded the same file (RestAreasCombined) but in Garmin .csv format.
2. Went to tomtom.gps-data-team.com
3. Used their conversion tool CSV to OV2
4. Copied newly created OV2 file to NA map folder.
5. Presto! Rest Areas now show on map and will list as "POI along Route"

Must have been something not quite right with the downloaded OV2 version.
Can you believe I was trying to blame a TT update....

Well, it's now February 28th, 2011. I didn't think your workaround would still be applicable, but it was. have a XL-550 and the latest maps and firmware. Cheesh.

At 63, with the usual old guy problems, the distance to the next rest stop is VERY important. For my wife, it's always been important.

Thanks for your help.

At 63, with the usual old guy problems, the distance to the next rest stop is VERY important.
From the movie "The Bucket List":

Here's something to remember when you're older Thomas - never pass up a bathroom...

Glad to hear someone else is getting good use out of the workaround. Surely do wish that the EasyMenu system had never been invented by TT, though.

Ask a Question