POI Along Route Q's

TomTom Model(s)
Navigator 6.030 on Treo 700P
First off, glad to have found you guys after months lurking at pocketgpsworld forums, our European brethren.

Anyway, one of the features of TTN6 I was looking forward to the most was the capability to search for POI's along my route. After having used said feature for a while, I still am a bit hazy about a few things:

1. When searching all POI's, you are given choices of 3 mi., 15 mi. etc. It appears that that is the distance from my current position, as opposed to distance from any point along the route. Can anyone confirm this?

2. In the list of results of a POI search there are a few icons that I can't find any explanation of in the manual. Two are similar to the "Travel Via" and "Find Alternative" icons, but not quite, and appear on the left side of the results. Anyway, sometimes the first results in the list have this icon in green, and sometimes some of the next results have it in yellow. They also occur randomly throughout the list. I assume that the green ones take me on a shorter "detour" off my route, and the yellow ones, slightly longer. Am I right?

2A. Anyone know what distances correspond to the green and yellow icons?

There is a third icon that appears on the left, which is similar to the "Navigate To" icon, but with the just the green arrow. I assume that means the POI is right on my route, and no detour is necessary.

2B. A lot, or even all of the results also have a green bridge-looking icon on the right. Any ideas as to what this might mean?

I am surprised TomTom has no explanation of these icons, or even any documentation of a major new feature. Or is it just that everyone else just "gets it" but me? ;)

Thanks!

-N

There is a thread regarding the small icons.

IIRC, we agreed that the straight green arrow is directly along the route, green "detour" (or Travel Via as you've described it) is along the route but to the side (or in the opposite side of the road) and the yellow icon would be a detour off the route of travel.

The "bridge" is a telephone lol. This probably means there's a number for that place and that you can call it.

Thanks for the quick and informative reply, Nextourer. I searched for "along," but I guess vBulletin has something against prepositions...

lol about the phone/bridge icon.

1. When searching all POI's, you are given choices of 3 mi., 15 mi. etc. It appears that that is the distance from my current position, as opposed to distance from any point along the route. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes that is correct. The results given is the distance closest to your current position. You will also notice that it is sorted by the icons you describe in your second question. It first sorts POI that is directly along your route (i.e. the green straight arrow), then by a POI that is slightly off the route (i.e. the green icon resembling 'Find Alternate', then by POI that is farther off the route but in the 'general' direction of your destination. I use the term 'general' loosely.

2. In the list of results of a POI search there are a few icons that I can't find any explanation of in the manual. Two are similar to the "Travel Via" and "Find Alternative" icons, but not quite, and appear on the left side of the results. Anyway, sometimes the first results in the list have this icon in green, and sometimes some of the next results have it in yellow. They also occur randomly throughout the list. I assume that the green ones take me on a shorter "detour" off my route, and the yellow ones, slightly longer. Am I right?

Yes, that is correct. Nextourer explains it well (+1).

2A. Anyone know what distances correspond to the green and yellow icons?

There is a third icon that appears on the left, which is similar to the "Navigate To" icon, but with the just the green arrow. I assume that means the POI is right on my route, and no detour is necessary.

This is something I have been wondering too. The green icon aka 'Find Alternative look like' takes me as far as 12.3KM from my current position. The yellow icon takes me as 21.1KM from my current position.

2B. A lot, or even all of the results also have a green bridge-looking icon on the right. Any ideas as to what this might mean?

You know I never noticed that...why would they do that LOL

Yes that is correct. The results given is the distance closest to your current position. You will also notice that it is sorted by the icons you describe in your second question. It first sorts POI that is directly along your route (i.e. the green straight arrow), then by a POI that is slightly off the route (i.e. the green icon resembling 'Find Alternate', then by POI that is farther off the route but in the 'general' direction of your destination. I use the term 'general' loosely.

Yes, that is correct. Nextourer explains it well (+1).

This is something I have been wondering too. The green icon aka 'Find Alternative look like' takes me as far as 12.3KM from my current position. The yellow icon takes me as 21.1KM from my current position.

You know I never noticed that...why would they do that LOL
well, d-f, it's still along the route right? It doesn't have to be close to your current location. As long as it's close to the route that TT has chosen.

well, d-f, it's still along the route right? It doesn't have to be close to your current location. As long as it's close to the route that TT has chosen.

I know it's along the route to my destination. I was simply stating that the distance is measured from your current position. I'm still wondering what makes a POI a 'yellow' or 'green' arrow in terms of distance along the route.

I know it's along the route to my destination. I was simply stating that the distance is measured from your current position. I'm still wondering what makes a POI a 'yellow' or 'green' arrow in terms of distance along the route.
might not be a distance thing but whether you have to make one more turn. If so, that may be the criteria for a yellow instead of a green. Hmm... but that wouldn't work if you happened to be on a super long stretch of road lol.

Ok, maybe TT is smart enough to also had a distance thing.

oops sorry...musta read right over that again.

I beleive... can't quote me on this... but I beleive within 3 miles it goes form yellow to green.

something else i'll have to test and verify!!

>> 1. When searching all POI's, you are given choices of 3 mi., 15 mi. etc. It appears that that is the distance from my current position, as opposed to distance from any point along the route. Can anyone confirm this?

No.
You have to grasp the concept of 'Cursor'.
Let's take an example.
1- Browse map 2- Choose City center ( get Burlington VT as an example) 3- Hit the Cursor 4- Find POI nearby 5- Any POI category ...

If you choose 3 mi, it will search within the radius from the center of Burlington VT - not where you currently are.
At the bottom left of the screen you will see 'Relative to: Burlington VT'.

>> 1. When searching all POI's, you are given choices of 3 mi., 15 mi. etc. It appears that that is the distance from my current position, as opposed to distance from any point along the route. Can anyone confirm this?

No.
Let's take an example.
1- Browse map 2- Choose City center ( get Burlington VT as an example) 3- Hit the Cursor 4- Find POI nearby 5- Any POI category ...

If you choose 3 mi, it will search within the radius from the center of Burlington VT - not where you currently are.

Actually, when searching POI's using the 'POI along route' function the search results displays the distance from your current position.

I am sorry.
It's one of the night my head is heavy.
I should go to sleep instead of surfing. My apologies.

No.
Let's take an example.

Huh?

You have to grasp the concept of "context". I was asking about POI's along a route. Unless I am mistaken, the cursor doesn't enter in to the equation.

I hope your condescending tone was unintentional.

Anyway, you from VT? My Dad lives between Rutland and Ludlow.

Hi Nanook.
I already apologized in the post above.
No, I don't live in Vermont, but it's the state that I like most among the States (I am Canadian).

Ask a Question