POI Along Route...

I don't understand the POI Along Route feature. Based on the name, I would assume that if you have a destination already entered, then the POI Along Route feature would find the nearest POI that is on the route to the original destination, and that the original destination would not be overwritten. Unfortunately, I seem to be wrong about both assumptions.

Tonight I need gas while driving on a freeway. I used the POI Along Route feature and chose the supposed nearest gas station on my route. My 720 wanted me to get off the freeway, then drive 5 miles west of my route. First, it had me passing other gas stations (which were located in the POI database); second, it was way, way off the route; third, my original destination had to be reentered into the 720. I tried it a couple more times to see how it worked, and each time it chose a POI that was definitely not along my route.

Am I not using the feature correctly?

I did the same thing wrong yesterday. To get it to work you need to select "Find Alternative" instead of "Navigate To". Then select "Travel Via" then "Point of Interest" then "POI Along Route", then whatever category you wish.

When selecting this way be aware of the Arrow Icons on the left of the name. The straight ones tell you that the POI is directly on the route and the crooked ones tell you that you'll have to detour off route to get to them. The bigger the crook the futher off route they are.

I've never found the "travel via" all that useful as my one doesn't count you down to that spot or even warn you when you're there. it just sets up a waypoint that you can drive right by if you're not looking. If you're heading somewhere and want to stop at a restaurant on the way, the unit won't navigate you to the restaurant as it will your final destination. And if that restaurant happens to be a half mile down that road to the right, all you get is a turn around notice once you reach the waypoint.

something else tomtom should be looking at.

Ask a Question