Pocket PC and Tomtom ONE XL

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
Ok here is the problem.
The virtual keyboard does not work with the 3rd party software apps:( . So, rather than complain about Tomtom not having an open archetecture for the aftermarket programers to tweak, I wonder if something like a "Pocket PC", or maybe a palmtop might work for script manipulation (like Microsoft Explorer and word pad). I hate being tied to my office PC to change (experiment) with these script (config.txt) files. Any solutions out there that will make use of the USB port on my Tomtom? I'm not interested in running Tomtom Home, just a file manipulater.

Ok here is the problem.
The virtual keyboard does not work with the 3rd party software apps:( . So, rather than complain about Tomtom not having an open archetecture for the aftermarket programers to tweak, I wonder if something like a "Pocket PC", or maybe a palmtop might work for script manipulation (like Microsoft Explorer and word pad). I hate being tied to my office PC to change (experiment) with these script (config.txt) files. Any solutions out there that will make use of the USB port on my Tomtom? I'm not interested in running Tomtom Home, just a file manipulater.

I've got a TT LE so maybe it is different. The operating system is LINUX. I just plug into the USB port and use Windows Explorer to find files and notepad to edit. Any device that can read files and edit should work fine.

I have no problem hooking my TT1 XL up to my home or office pc, in fact I do it several times a day (love messing with the settings and 3rd party stuff). What I need is a utility like TTExplorer that will work on my TT1 XL (the perfect solution for my needs). While waiting until the developer can get the screen on TTExplorer to work on the TT1 XL (I know he will,, very clever chap), I thought some really cheep (maybe second hand) palm or pocket PC might at least get me into the files and let me edit the config while away from desk top machine. The big question is "usb port availability on the palm/ pocket machines, and operating system compatibility". Anybody out there using a palm/ pocket pc to do this?

Last edited:
Ok here is the problem.

I stumbled across this little diddy today and was wondering if anyone else has tried this ?console? software out? If I read it right. It may be the answer to my previous post (attached above):D . He says it works on the ?ONE?, but the obvious question is,,, what are the chances it work on my ONE XL?

http://www.opentom.org/TomTom_Console

Last edited:
I went ahead and installed this ?console? software as best as I could (not being able to read French) and got it to work as a 3rd party keyboard. The problem is,,, I?m a dos/windows guy and don?t know the first thing about the Linux O.S. , it?s commands, or the shell environment created around this keyboard app (Busybox?). I?m sure it could be made to work for what I want (renaming files and editing config files for the Tripmaster and Offroad 3rd party add-ons). I did an internet search for Linux shell commands, but got lost somewhere between the ?busybox? and ?ASH? shells. Any words of wisdom from those who speak a bit of Linux?
It would sure be great if TTExplorer would work on my TT ONE XL !!!!

Ask a Question