Navigator 6 and Pocket PC compared to TomTom Go 730

I originally put this in the General Thread but now see there is a thread specifically for Navigator...so I'll put it here :)

I recently purchased a TomTom 730 for my husband and have been playing with it so I can show him how to use it :) I love it and would like to have one too....

I have a HP Ipaq Pocket PC that I carry with me. The Navigator 6 software looks pretty close to what I've seen on the 730 (without the IQ Routing and Mapshare). Does anyone know if it works as well as the 730?

Also, I see info here that Navigator 7 may be out soon. Anyone know what TomTom's policy is if I'd buy Navigator 6 now and then 7 comes out in a month or so?

Thanks much....

I originally put this in the General Thread but now see there is a thread specifically for Navigator...so I'll put it here :)

I recently purchased a TomTom 730 for my husband and have been playing with it so I can show him how to use it :) I love it and would like to have one too....

I have a HP Ipaq Pocket PC that I carry with me. The Navigator 6 software looks pretty close to what I've seen on the 730 (without the IQ Routing and Mapshare). Does anyone know if it works as well as the 730?

Also, I see info here that Navigator 7 may be out soon. Anyone know what TomTom's policy is if I'd buy Navigator 6 now and then 7 comes out in a month or so?

Thanks much....

If the screen size is Ok with you, you might give it a try, but check closely the features of both side-by-side to see what else may be left out on Navigator 6.

As for getting version 6 and having 7 come out - I think it is a good bet that you would be out of luck. I would hold off and wait for 7. You can "share' your husband's unit in the meantime...

Hi GAW,

Thanks again for some advice. The screen size on my IPAQ pocket PC is smaller than the Go 930 by a little, but larger than a TomTom One, so I think I might give it a try. Wish I could find somewhere that I could return if I didn't like...perhaps the Navigator website has a trial download, but I'd have to purchase the gps...so nope, that won't work. Oh well.

Yep, I think I will share hubbies for awhile....even just to see that I continue to like it. It will be difficult though because I think once he gets it in his truck and works with it a bit, he's not gonna wanna give it up :)

Thanks again for all your help. Sometimes it helps just to chat with someone about it :)

Hello,
I'm running Nav 6 on Acer N35 (320 x 240 screen resolution), screen size is comparable to TomTom Rider and others (not XLs ).

I find it a major advantage having TT on a PDA, the Acer N35 has built in GPS and facility to connect external aerial. So I can use it as a stand-alone handheld unit away from car / bike.
I also run Fugawi on it for off road navigation (TT 'snaps' to roads).

Speed maybe slightly slower but that is down to the processor of the unit, I don't know which PDA you have.

Contact me if you need further advice or help.

Cheers,:)

Some other thoughts on products

dont have much experience with IPac but i am running TT6 on my verizon vx6800 / HTC Titan phone and it works great I love the fact that my 1 device has phone / GPS / Internet and is a pocket pc / PDA. To anybody thinking about this setup I highly recommend it. Im cheap and do not believe in paying for software so I configed the whole thing for the cost of the phone on ebay under $200 usd. got a bunch of other goodies on it too made it work like the Iphone with scrolling screens. if i were you I would do some "research" for TT6 and see if you can get a running version on you Ipac if you like it buy TT7 or 8 when it is available. if not buy a TomTom unit. P.S. I now also have a Magellan that is now donated to the wife.... LOL

Ask a Question