Plus Services on AT&T with Nokia 6085

I have tried without success, did a chat session with AT&T which was pretty useless. I admit this is long, but I didn't want to leave something out that was possibly important.

OK, fairly long, but at end of chat session part, there are questions that hopefully someone might be able to help me with.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a representative to respond.

Chat InformationWelcome to AT&T Data Support Chat. My name is 'Jose Hernandez' and I?ll be happy to assist you today.

Scott Phillippi: I think we got disconnected

Jose Hernandez: I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing today. I will be more than happy to help in resolving your Tom Tom inquiry.

Jose Hernandez: How would you like me to address you by? Your First or Last Name?

Jose Hernandez: (Yes, we sure did)

Scott Phillippi: ok

Scott Phillippi: get about halfway done and setup fails

Scott Phillippi: tomtom tells me to setup manually

Jose Hernandez: What Program/Application are you using on your Mobile Phone for GPS, Scott?

Scott Phillippi: here is where I run into problems

Scott Phillippi: I have unlimited data plan

Jose Hernandez: Right, but are you using an Application via your Mobile Phone?

Scott Phillippi: no

Jose Hernandez: Ok, thank you.

Scott Phillippi: trying to connect tomtom via bluetooth

Jose Hernandez: For what purpose though.

Scott Phillippi: to do map updates, gps fixes, traffic, etc.

Jose Hernandez: Reason I am asking is because GPS Enable Mobile Phones that do not have an internal GPS device use an Application called AT&T Navigator which is the Interface for accessing Maps, locations, etc.

Jose Hernandez: I do not see you device as being a GPS enabled device, as is.

Scott Phillippi: no, I have a tomtom which can access the web via bluetooth connection to phone, which is why I purchased unlimited data plan

Jose Hernandez: Ok, we definitely do not support what you are attempting to accomplish today, Scott. You will need to contact the Manufacturer of the Tom Tom and Nokia for assistance with pairing the two together.

Jose Hernandez: Im sorry for the inconvenience.

Scott Phillippi: tomtom asks to setup wireless data connection manually

Scott Phillippi: hold on

Scott Phillippi: info I need is access port name

Scott Phillippi: username, password, obtain ip address auto or manual, dns auto or manual, dial # (has default of *99#), login script

Jose Hernandez: Ok, for BlueTooth support, you will still need to contact the Manufacturer. Here is what we have for the Browser Settings for your device.

Jose Hernandez: Access the Nokia 6085 Browser Settings

Jose Hernandez: Pairing a Bluetooth Headset with a Wireless Phone

Jose Hernandez: (Informational Only | Limited support: This solution is intended for informational purposes only. AT&T provides network, billing, and provisioning support for the wireless voice and data networks. Additional support beyond this article must be directed to the phone manufacturer or Bluetooth headset manufacturer.)

Jose Hernandez: Im sorry Scott, but as I posted earlier, we do not support pairing Blue Tooth enabled devices.

Scott Phillippi: ok, but that link does not contain info regarding actual setting values, which I believe are set by AT&T

Jose Hernandez: What it appears you are attempting to do is gain access from the Tom Tom via the AT&T Browser Settings, which is not allowed. Pairing the device is something completely different and you will need to contact the Manufacturer about. We do not have nor set the settings for pairing devices. The Mobile Phone is made by Nokia, which you will want to contact for assistance.

Jose Hernandez: Im sorry for the inconvenience, Scott.

Jose Hernandez: Let me see if I can locate a number for Nokia.

Scott Phillippi: Then why was I told by AT & T to purchase unlimited data plan so I COULD do this

Scott Phillippi: Once again, it is not pairing issue, it is data settingd issue

Jose Hernandez: For GPS Enabled Phones, you would use AT&T Navigator which is an additional Application you need to download and install on your device.

Scott Phillippi: OK, you are apparently not following me.

Jose Hernandez: The AT&T Navigator is a Plan for $9.99 (monthly fee) which needs to be added to your account before being able to access Maps and such.

Scott Phillippi: why would I purchase another navigator program when I have a stand alone devic?

Jose Hernandez: If you Phone does not have built in GPS , then you need to purchase a separate GPS system, like some of the Black Berry's do.

Scott Phillippi: ok.tomtom one is a seperate gps system

Jose Hernandez: Right, exactly.

Jose Hernandez: Some Black Berry's (as an example) allow you to download and install the AT&T Navigator Application for $9.99, but you will need to purchase a separate GPS System in order to use the feature.

Scott Phillippi: so what are the settings I asked for so the tomtom can do its updates.I am missing the problem here

Scott Phillippi: thats nuts

Scott Phillippi: if i can access the web with my phone, why can't I get the information from the web that I need

Jose Hernandez: It seems you want your TomTom to access the web via the AT&T wap settings, which is not supported. I do not see that your device is GPS capable, meaning, the AT&T Navigator is not compatible with your device.

Scott Phillippi: ok.my service is three days old, obviously can't do what I was told I could do to convince me to go with this plan and provider, gonna have to make some changes again

Jose Hernandez: Here is an overview of your device.

Jose Hernandez: Nokia 6085 Specifications

Jose Hernandez: There is no mention of your Nokia being GPS capable.

Jose Hernandez: (Via AT&T, anyhow)

Scott Phillippi: you know, I was told at AT & T store that this phone and data plan would do all I need, including tomtom, I didn't hide anything, but I was apparently lied too

Scott Phillippi: phone doesn't have to be gps

Scott Phillippi: tomtom is

Scott Phillippi: tomtom talks to phone which talks to internet, its simple

Jose Hernandez: If you can use your device with a 3rd party/separate GPS System with a 3rd party Application, then the Manufacturer can explain how you can use your device with your Tom Tom.

Jose Hernandez: I hope that makes sense, Scott.

OK.chat session was, to say the least, FRUSTRATING. :(

with that being said, does anybody know what I need to do, here is a step by step following when I try to set up tomtom one to nokia 6085 on at&t with unlimited data plan:

tomtom-search for phones
connect to Nokia 6085?
I click on yes
still on tomtom screen
Nokia 6085
This phone may now be used.
The following features were found:
Wireless data connection.
I press continue,
still on tomtom screen
To use TomTom PLUS services, you need to set up your wireless data connection. Do you want to do this now?
I press yes.
still on tomtom
An error occurred, unable to complete task. Do you want to set up your wireless data connection manually?
I press yes
tomtom requests the following:
Access point name
Username
Password
Obtain IP address Automatically (DHCP) or set up manually?
Set up DNS server address automatically or manually?
Dial (prefilled with *99#)
Login script

Any help would be appreciated, or am I screwed :mad: and should just get rid of data plan

Thanks,
Scott

are you sure your model phone is supported ?....( for plus services like traffic.fuel )

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/

NOTE: when asked by your device which service....

choose

cingular ( media net )

now if your phone is supported and you have to set it up manually

just google cingular media net setting

many sites list the info.

Last edited:
are you sure your model phone is supported ?....( for plus services like traffic.fuel )

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/

While it is not listed on Tomtom's compatibility page, I do believe that it is supported as it has all the features of phones listed, although I could be wrong, while I am not technically inept, cell phones are not my specialty. I am on a slight learning curve as reception where I live is spotty at best:D .

NOTE: when asked by your device which service....

choose

cingular ( media net )
Unfortunately I don't get an option of a provider to choose, I am asked if I want to connect to the Nokia 6085, which I select yes.

now if your phone is supported and you have to set it up manually

just google cingular media net setting

many sites list the info.

I have tried the following:
APN: wap.cingular
username: (e-mail address removed)
password: CINGULAR1

Also, do I want packet data or data transfer. As it appears to me, bearing in mind that I am a self-proclaimed nube, that data transfer appears to be using the phone as a tethered modem and packet data would be using the phones internet capabilities, either of which would be fine with me as it is not large volumes of data. The only problem is is I use it as a tethered modem, I have no dial-up number to use as I am on Verizon DSL.

I also have the following information,

wap.cingular
username: (e-mail address removed)
password: CINGULAR1
Number Dialed: *99#
Initialization String: +cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

which I am not sure how valuable it is or for that matter how to actually use any of it :eek: . Sadly, as I stated previously, my skills with cell phones is very limited. I am confident that my goals can be accomplished, I just don't know how to go about it :confused: . As always, thanks for any and all support.

Scott

Would it be a dun, I thought that it would be over AT&T's network. I have found locations in the phone for what I believe is dun

this is from nokia's website regarding this phone:

http://www.nokiausa.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_217928

(22) The Nokia 6085 phone is designed to meet Bluetooth Specification 1.2, Headset, Handsfree, Dial-up Networking, Generic Object Exchange, File Transfer, Object Push, Generic Access, Serial Port, Advanced Audio Distribution, Service Discovery Application, Personal Area Network Access Point and SIM Access profiles. To ensure compatibility with other devices with Bluetooth technology, check with the device manufacturer. Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.

I really don't know the facts.

but I have read that the phone has to be able to support DUN over bluetooth

data over bluetooth.

this is the problem with the iphone and why it does not work with the plus services....( many hope to see this change in the near future )

ok, the phone has to support dun, I think it does. I got the snippet above from nokia's site and it states

The Nokia 6085 phone is designed to meet Bluetooth Specification 1.2, Headset, Handsfree, Dial-up Networking

so I think that it does.

AT&T was useless for support, stating that support had to come from Nokia for bluetooth issues, which it clearly is not a bluetooth issue as the phone shows it as being paired with the Tomtom. Then AT&T claims it is an issue with Tomtom, which I will agree with to the point of not having the correct information to enter into the tomtom because AT&T wont give it to me, instead wanting me to purchase their navigation program for $9.99 a month, which I replied "are you nuts, why would I buy a subscription for something that I have a stand alone device for?". I am sure that it is possible if I knew what the settings are and where to put them. Bottom line, I don't think it is a Tomtom issue, I don't believe it is a Nokia issue, I DO believe it is an AT&T issue but I haven't found the right customer service agent who either knows what to do or is willing to help if they don't have to. There is lots of information on the web from people who have had similar problems with different models of phones or Tomtom's and have found solutions. Let's face it, a Tomtom One and a Nokia 6085, while both quality items that work fine, are not top end, high dollar items. I am trying to get the FULL use of each one's capabilities.

Found this link to ebay for this model phone

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Unlocked-No...temQQimsxZ20081127?IMSfp=TL081127114007r32632

small snippet from above link

Keep in touch wherever your roam around the world with the quad-band Nokia 6085 mobile phone. Easily pocketable at 3 ounces light and 0.9 inches thin, it communicates over GSM/GPRS networks and offers global voice and data roaming in over 125 countries. Getting on the Internet is easy with support for the GPRS data protocol, as well as the high-speed EDGE wireless data service.

Last edited:
OK. . . Thanks to everyone who tried to help. Long story short, on my way to AT&T store today to try to get some resolution, I decided to try one more time.and it worked! I have no idea why, but it did. All I did was when Tomtom asked if I wanted to setup data connection manually, I said yes, entered my apn as wap.cingular (all lowercase) and then for user name and password, I left as blank, auto for IP and dns, default for number (*99#, i think) and blank for login script, after which, it started the connection sequence that never got above 65% before, imagine my suprise when it hit 70. . .75. . .80. . . :D ,made it to 100% and then asked for my login info for Tomtom, which was prefilled with the correct info which I assume that was saved on the Tomtom from connecting to my PC with Tomtom Home. So anyhow, THANKS TO ALL WHO TRIED, and if anyone else is having similar problems, don't give up and don't be convinced to easily when your provider tells you that it is impossible, as I was told in my chat session with AT&T!

let me add this....just so you'll know.

Now that you have it working....you may see from time to time your having trouble.

sometimes it is necessary to restart your phone....bluetooth can be brain dead at times.

PSJ aka Marc

I have a Nokia 6085 and have it hooked up to tomtom 720.It works great.I have traffic and weather on it.It really wasn't that hard to set up .Any questions just e-mail me or call me on the cell.I would be glad to walk you through the steps to set it up,Jim

Ask a Question