Plus Feature Incompatability with Windows Mobile 6 - DUN v. PAN

I just bought a 720 and thought I could use its Plus features with my TMobile Dash since it is compatible with numerous older Windows Mobile devices. I was disappointed to discover that the 720 requires DUN network support which is an old technology that Microsoft replaced with PAN in Windows Mobile 6.

I've been trying several of the available hacks that allegedly enable DUN on WM6 devices, but none work for me. The only option this leaves me is to downgrade my phone to an old WM5 MDA, if I want access to the Plus features on the 720.

Having to hack my current phone or downgrade to an older phone are unreasonable steps to enjoy the high tech features of the 720. Does TomTom plan to support PAN in addition to DUN in a future release?

Are any other users in this situation?

I'd like to hear from Tmo Dash users specifically to see if you found a hack that actually worked - if you can help me get my phone hacked, I may try it.

Thanks to all!
Brad

Update

UPDATE

I called TomTom today to ask this question - I was advised that TomTom is always updating the supported mobile phones, so support for the Dash is almost inevitable. I would feel great after hearing that, if I didn't know that it was hot air being blown up my ass to get me off the phone. The rep then told me something I didn't expect to hear. He said I could buy the Navigator product and return my 720 to BestBuy. When I later looked up the compatability of my phone with Navigator, I didn't see it listed. I'm not impressed.

On top of this little experience with customer support, my maps became corrupt today and I had to reload them.

I may be seeing a Nuvi in my future soon...

720 Plus Features

I just bought a 720 and thought I could use its Plus features with my TMobile Dash since it is compatible with numerous older Windows Mobile devices. I was disappointed to discover that the 720 requires DUN network support which is an old technology that Microsoft replaced with PAN in Windows Mobile 6.

I've been trying several of the available hacks that allegedly enable DUN on WM6 devices, but none work for me. The only option this leaves me is to downgrade my phone to an old WM5 MDA, if I want access to the Plus features on the 720.

Having to hack my current phone or downgrade to an older phone are unreasonable steps to enjoy the high tech features of the 720. Does TomTom plan to support PAN in addition to DUN in a future release?

Are any other users in this situation?

I'd like to hear from Tmo Dash users specifically to see if you found a hack that actually worked - if you can help me get my phone hacked, I may try it.

Thanks to all!
Brad

I'm running a Moto Q9M with the Windows Mobile 6 and have tried everything I can find to get the Plus features working with no luck. I took my 720 to a local Verizon store and tried getting it to work with several live phones with data plans, some running WM5 with no luck there.

Getting very irritated thus far.

SM

I just bought a Moto Q9C on Sprint. I also tried the DUN hacks from the XDA forums with no luck. I think the reason we can't get it to work on the Dash or the the Q is due to the phone running WM Smarthphone vs WM Pro. I really hope that TomTom implements a fix for this ASAP. Carrying that traffic receiver around everywhere could turn into a real pain, not to mention the traffic provided by the TT Plus service is far more accurate than anything broadcast via the radio interface.

DASH and TOMTOM

I got mine to work with my tmobile dash.

it takes some work. You have to hack the DUN support back on in the DASH, then use customized settings:

Here are my notes:

article for Dun
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=510&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Choose TomTom 1

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username:
Password:
Dial: *99#
Connection string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" (it said case sensitive, I used default)

i also got my dash to work with some plus features.

first you have to application unlock your phone. i used a file named "SurrealNetworksAppUnlock" maybe you can google it.

next was the DUN hack the name of the file i used was "WM6_BT_DUN"

the configuration listed in a previous post will work after these are done.

you should also check out this sreaming media hacked from the original HTC Excalibur "RvBCrS_HTC_Streaming_Media". it just adds back a feature removed when t-mobile licensed the phone. ( love being able to youtube on my phone now)

and "SnoozeAlarm" to fix the ever present alarm problem of saving and going off at every time ever programed.

I got mine to work with my tmobile dash.

it takes some work. You have to hack the DUN support back on in the DASH, then use customized settings:

Here are my notes:

article for Dun
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=510&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Choose TomTom 1

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username:
Password:
Dial: *99#
Connection string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" (it said case sensitive, I used default)

I'm trying to get my Dash with WM6 to connect with my 930 but I don't really understand what I am supposed to do. The link you posted seems to apply more to using my phone as a modem. Is there another tutorial somewhere else. I have the hand-free calling set-up but non of the other services with TomTom work.

I'm trying to get my Dash with WM6 to connect with my 930 but I don't really understand what I am supposed to do. The link you posted seems to apply more to using my phone as a modem. Is there another tutorial somewhere else. I have the hand-free calling set-up but non of the other services with TomTom work.

There are reports of other WM6 phones working with Plus features now, e.g. https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7778 (the Q9m is a WM6 phone).

The key thing to remember here is that when you use your phone for data access, you *are* using it as a modem. Usually your phone hides that from view.

Go to this page and download the file SurrealNetworksAppUnlock.cab
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=281838&page=3
It's near the bottom of the page - you'll need to create a user logon/password with the site - which is an awesome site btw
Save the file on your memory card and then run it on your phone, and it will install. This will CID/Application unlock your phone
This file is specific to the DASH

Then go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=314371&page=10&highlight=WM6_BT_DUN and download the WM6_BT_DUN.cab file. This file works for all WM6 phones. Again install it from the DASH. After a reboot you should be all set.

The problem is with Windows Mobile 6.0. The problem will persist if you buy a Garmin. The problem is (I believe) corrected with Windows Mobile 6.1. Microsoft made a conscious decision to remove it in 6.0.

Go to this page and download the file SurrealNetworksAppUnlock.cab
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=281838&page=3
It's near the bottom of the page - you'll need to create a user logon/password with the site - which is an awesome site btw
Save the file on your memory card and then run it on your phone, and it will install. This will CID/Application unlock your phone
This file is specific to the DASH

Then go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=314371&page=10&highlight=WM6_BT_DUN and download the WM6_BT_DUN.cab file. This file works for all WM6 phones. Again install it from the DASH. After a reboot you should be all set.

The problem is with Windows Mobile 6.0. The problem will persist if you buy a Garmin. The problem is (I believe) corrected with Windows Mobile 6.1. Microsoft made a conscious decision to remove it in 6.0.

I actually just updated to WM6.1 and set up my phone for internet using the $5.99 plan from T-Mobile. I also have managed to set up my phone as a modem for my computer. All of this works now. I can connect with my TomTom for hands free calling too.

The problem is still that when I click on "TomTom Weather" on my gps, i get the message "This feature is not supported."

I have unlocked the phone (required for the 6.1 update) I also did installed the WM6 BT DUN file. At least I think I did. I placed it in the /Windows folder and then ran it on the phone. Phone restarted. So I think I did it.

Are there any other settings I need to change on the Dash or TomTom?

So I figured out that that was for the TomTom. But it still doesn't work.

When I connect the Dash and my TomTom930, i get to the point where it says "Checking Wireless data connection settings..."

Then I choose "united states" and then "T-Mobile (I)". It then says Unable to set up your connection, so I choose manual.

I set the APN to "wap.voicestream.com"
Blank for username and password
Automatic for the next things
I put in "*99#" for the dial
And then the Login Script I leave at "at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

It then returns to the checking wireless data connection settings screen and is at 65%. But then it says that it can not connect. What is wrong?

Are there special settings on my phone I need to change?

anyone get a Treo 800W to connect - through much effort I can get them (720 and 800w) to connect via BT but no data will happen.

I'm getting a 720 for Christmas, and was hoping to be able to use the PLUS services through my WM6.1 phone, which is a Samsung i760. Is there any hope of this working without having to go back to college for an IT degree???

It may have something to do with which carrier you are using.

I got a Windows Mobile 6.1 HTC Touch Diamond set up with T-Mobile and did not have to do anything with settings (no manual settings were needed and did not have to enter the APN).

Everything worked - including paid services like traffic.

My i760 is on Verizon, which (from what I've seen here) will be a problem. I know I'll be frustrated to have all of these data-enable devices, and not be able to make them "talk" and pull in the data that is available.

Ask a Question