Does TomTom Plus Service work on Andriod G1

Does TomTom Plus Service work on Andriod G1 from T-Mobile? Or how can I tell w/o buying one. Looking at a 730

I had heard about a year ago that T-Mobile made Google pull all of the tethering applications from its site. You'll first want to check with T-Mobile to see if "tethering" (aka "DUN") is even possible with a G1 on a T-Mobile account.

If it's a 'simple' issue of tethering, there seems to be a number of hacks, of varying degrees of difficulty. While not officially supported, t-mobile seems to have a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

Thanks,

Davey

I had heard about a year ago that T-Mobile made Google pull all of the tethering applications from its site. You'll first want to check with T-Mobile to see if "tethering" (aka "DUN") is even possible with a G1 on a T-Mobile account.

Provided you can manage tethering via T-Mobile, the next issue is getting your G1 to support the DUN Bluetooth profile to make the TomTom connection. Android @ 1.5 (aka Cupcake - what a weenie name for a release, eh?) had some bare bones DUN support. How far have you progressed with your Android releases on your G1?

piece of cupcake

It's got the latest cupcake (32?) which was on it when I bought it used a few weeks ago. I've been thinking of rooting it and replacing the ROM but the choices are bewildering! Wasn't any real need until the tethering issue came up. That and the fact that you have to root the #$8%@! thing to turn off the keyboard backlight that makes the silver keyboard illegible! cyanogen seems the most common...?

Provided you can manage tethering via T-Mobile, the next issue is getting your G1 to support the DUN Bluetooth profile to make the TomTom connection. Android @ 1.5 (aka Cupcake - what a weenie name for a release, eh?) had some bare bones DUN support. How far have you progressed with your Android releases on your G1?

I think you have your pastries confused.

1.5 = nickname cupcake
1.6 = nickname donut
2.0/2.1 = nickname eclair

There's no such thing as a "cupcake" other than version 1.5 of the code, and there wasn't much in the way of support for tethering at that point. Heck, they just finally got around to a BT profile that would allow file transfers in 2.0.

If you're going to do a "ROM" replacement, you'll really want to know where you are and where you're headed before you proceed.

So what version of Android do you actually have?

I may have been on a sugar high but I'm pretty sure I checked it a bit ago and it had RC32 on it. Irregardless, it has 1.6 build DMD64 as I'm looking at it now. Doh!! :) Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

thanks!!

I think you have your pastries confused.

1.5 = nickname cupcake
1.6 = nickname donut
2.0/2.1 = nickname eclair

There's no such thing as a "cupcake" other than version 1.5 of the code, and there wasn't much in the way of support for tethering at that point. Heck, they just finally got around to a BT profile that would allow file transfers in 2.0.

If you're going to do a "ROM" replacement, you'll really want to know where you are and where you're headed before you proceed.

So what version of Android do you actually have?

OK - you're at 1.6. There's hope (none at all if you were at 1.5).

Since the 1.6 kernel isn't supporting the DUN profile (and STILL isn't at 2.1), you'll need to start your process with 3rd party software that will support it. There are a couple of them out there (Google it) but here's two of which I am aware:

Android-Wifi-Tether - Free Android software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Android G1 Bluetooth Tether - Android Activity

There's still no assurance that we'll get you paired and running, but you've got to get BT DUN working before you can even start.

Ask a Question