Picked up another Go720, can I just update it from a current backup?

I just picked up another Go720, and I want to update it. It likely has pretty old firmware on it, so I am wondering about the following:

If I copy my latest current backup from my up to date 720, will it be totally updated, with my new map?
Do I have to update the firmware first, and if so, can I update more than one unit from my TomTom Home acct?
Will the new map work on the old firmware?
Does TomTom expect me to buy a new map for each unit?

thanks

I just picked up another Go720, and I want to update it. It likely has pretty old firmware on it, so I am wondering about the following:

If I copy my latest current backup from my up to date 720, will it be totally updated, with my new map?
Firmware yes. Map NO. Don't even try the latter. You'll just get an 'invalid map' error.
Do I have to update the firmware first, and if so, can I update more than one unit from my TomTom Home acct?
NO! Don't mix and match two units on the same account, not even if you are talking about the same model. Create another email account (even a bogus one will do) for logins with a second unit. Then update the firmware.
Will the new map work on the old firmware?
No, but that won't matter. The maps are keyed to the serial number of each unit. You can't use the maps from one unit on another unit. The new firmware will work with the old map, and updating the firmware will be no problem.
Does TomTom expect me to buy a new map for each unit?
Yup.

Thanks - I noticed that if I logged out of Home it still let me update the 2nd unit, but it is showing version 7.48 instead of 8.351 for some reason.

Are you saying if I had just "restored" the backup to the 2nd unit (sans maps) it would have also updated the firmware / version? I thought the firmware was in the flash ram or something like that and was separate from the content.

Home will install 7,48 as an intermediate step, you need to connect the device again to Home and click the update my Go button, this time it should go to 8,351 - Mike

Thanks - I noticed that if I logged out of Home it still let me update the 2nd unit, but it is showing version 7.48 instead of 8.351 for some reason.

Are you saying if I had just "restored" the backup to the 2nd unit (sans maps) it would have also updated the firmware / version? I thought the firmware was in the flash ram or something like that and was separate from the content.
Yes, the firmware was available from your older unit. And all of the files are in flash where you see them when you explore the device. The firmware is "visible" as a file (part of the "content" as you call it). But you're almost there. Take Mike's advice and run it again. The firmware will update again now that you have a different level of code received on your first update.

I rekon what they are doing is illegal. Or it dam well should be.
If you buy a map as a seperate purchase from the original unit then it should be a seperate licence and that seperate purchase should be trasferable to another legaly licenced unit.
I just may be that no one has taken them to court yet.
If you buy a DVD player and some DVD movies for it you can still use those movies in a new DVD player if your old one breaks down can't you ? How unfair would it be to expect the customer to but new DVD disks just because the original DVD player broke down ?
If the maps were cheap and the Unoits more reliable it would not be a big issue but they are not that cheap or all that reliable . We bought two units one for me and one for my daughter and both have had to be returned to be repaired within a few weeks of purchase. The warranty service was very good though . I have no complaint in that area.
I was quite shocked to find out how unfair there whole extra map purchase setup is.

I would say that compariing to a PC with a proprietary OS is more accurate than comparing to a DVD player. Buy a new PC with no OS on it and try and put that windows 7 on it from your new PC. Of course with a PC one always has the option of going to a free open source OS and programs, and unfortunately maps are very proprietary and there is no open source alternative.

Having said that I agree that the maps are not fair vaule for the dollar, for the premiums they charge one should be getting a lot more accuracy and up to date maps.

More proof that these days, it's the bean-counters that run the world, IMHO

The beauty of the free market though, is you can always vote with your feet, so to speak and not buy the product if you don't agree with the vendor.

I rekon what they are doing is illegal. Or it dam well should be.
If you buy a map as a seperate purchase from the original unit then it should be a seperate licence and that seperate purchase should be trasferable to another legaly licenced unit.
Transfer? Happens all the time. You're either misunderstanding what the OP is doing, or you're misunderstanding "transfer". It's a SINGLE UNIT license. It CAN be transferred to another unit. It can't be used on two. No different than the majority of software out there for a PC.

I just may be that no one has taken them to court yet.
If our customers can outsmart Tomtom then it's great, huge benefit for us.
Say, I bought 3 TT units, which came with v710, v715, and v815; now I "purchase" a new v845 map and using it to load into all 3 of my units. It ain't gonna work, m8.
Sue-ing them?

Transfer? Happens all the time. You're either misunderstanding what the OP is doing, or you're misunderstanding "transfer". It's a SINGLE UNIT license. It CAN be transferred to another unit. It can't be used on two. No different than the majority of software out there for a PC.

I thought you said that the maps are coded to the original unit and will not work on a new unit ?
No one ever said anything about using it on two units I don't expect that at all .
If my unit breaks down and I have to throw it in the TRASH can I transfer the seperately purchased map to the new working unit ?
If so please tell me how do I do that just incase I have to .

If that happens, then you'll need customer support to assist you since technically the map from unit one will not work with unit two.

I thought you said that the maps are coded to the original unit and will not work on a new unit ?
I did. And when you break your unit or upgrade to a new one, TomTom has to transfer what you "own" to the new serial number. TRANSFER. As I say, it happens all the time. When my original 720 packed up after 3 months, I had a subscription and newer map that had to be transferred to the new serial number. The replacement unit they sent me wasn't as up-to-date as what I already had. Tech Support manages this issue.

No one ever said anything about using it on two units I don't expect that at all .
The OP did. That was the entire point of his first post and question...
If my unit breaks down and I have to throw it in the TRASH can I transfer the seperately purchased map to the new working unit ?
If so please tell me how do I do that just incase I have to .
You call tech support and deal with them. They're the keepers of the serial numbers.

Last edited:
OK , thanks for that , It's a product support issue. That is fair . It was sounding to me like you had to just kiss your maps goodbye all together. This is a lot better.

Ask a Question