Oversensitive screen & unstable display

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
My GO730 seems to have a phantom finger touching the screen. It just selects random stuff all by itself. Sometimes it is so busy doing it's own thing I simply shut it off. Other times by touching "Done" it returns to the selected route and is OK for a while. Running on the internal battery seems better, but I need more experience to say it is the cure.

I have tried:

1. Cleaning the screen with damp cloth to remove fingerprints
  2. fiddling with the mount
  3. Another vehicle
  4. Looking for a sensitivity adjustment setting
  5. Use in on a walk outside any vehicle
Without success at stopping the random activity. Anyone else seen this? Is noise from the 12VDC power in the vehicle causing self-initiated action? Is there a cure?

Also try cleaning around the bezel with the sharp edge of a business card to clean out any grunge that may be there

OK dhn -- done.
Nope -- very little dust removed and is not a solution.
It may have changed the location of the fickle finger however.
Now the > button on the "home?" window seems the most self-activated selection.

I am now updating map and software -- Last update 20 weeks ago.
-->>stand by for re-testing after updates...

I don;t think updates will make any difference,... this is almost always a physical issue affecting the screen.

Grit under the bezel, a screen protector, or the case actually warping to put pressure on the screen have always been the cause in the past.

If all else fails, replacement "screen+digitiser" packs are available from eBay.

I fixed mine by actually putting some outward pressure on the bezel with my fingernails. The upper right hand corner seemed to be a little tight because mine would always end up at the help me screen. I grabbed that corner with my fingernails and pulled just a little bit. I did not even notice or feel the bezel moving but it fixed the problem. At least until it comes back. I did that several months ago and have not had to do it again.

Hope this helps.

Ok all -- I'll add all those things to my list...:)
After upgrade to todays most recent everything my 730 looks stable for the 20min I used it around town. It would have failed in that time beforehand. As a side benefit the map display is improved over the revision about 1/2 year ago. The price is that I lost my list of former destinations and other personal data. IMHO it's a small price.

Please accept my thanks you three.
My faith in TomTom is much on the mend.
Skip

If you have a backup of the previous map's contents, you can copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the previousmap's backup to the specific map on your unit. That should restore recent destinations, etc.

I don;t think updates will make any difference,...

After upgrade to todays most recent everything my 730 looks stable for the 20min I used it around town. It would have failed in that time beforehand.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong! Please let us know how you get on over the next few days. :)

Don't jump at the cure being software rev Andy_P.

I've got several hrs of use now doing things as before and TomTom is perfectly stable. No more fickle finger. The major difference is the software rev, now 9.430, true enough. But in the several day period of troubleshooting I dabbled at some of the other fixes too that only in combination fixed my problem? Like finger under the bezel.

I personally credit the software upgrade as the major contributor, but you probably share my hesitation based on the statistical significance of one sample -- not convincing. Maybe 5 fixes will be enough...:)

Thanks again.
Skip

Ask a Question