Overheating

I've been wondering. Have any of you posters had any problems with dash or window-mounted GPS units overheating?

Just thought it would be an interesting topic.

Regards!

I've been wondering. Have any of you posters had any problems with dash or window-mounted GPS units overheating?
I have had no such problems myself with my device(s) when using a third-party mount that uses the cup holder.

I have seen a number of comments about problems like this on another forum that I follow that is oriented primarily toward POI files. All of those comments have come from users of Garmin devices, but the vast majority of the active members of that forum use Garmins, so I would expect them to be the ones posting on any subject in any event.

- Tom -

I'd imagine that living in SoCal, if your holder keeps your GPS cool, it ought to keep a GPS ool practically anywhere! :)

I'd imagine that living in SoCal, if your holder keeps your GPS cool, it ought to keep a GPS ool practically anywhere! :)
You are obviously not familiar with Phoenix ! :eek:

Seriously, I live less than a mile from the ocean, so I am seldom exposed to really, really hot weather - unless I am driving to Phoenix to visit family.

In addition, in my car and in my wife's car, the cup holder mount keeps the GPS out of direct sunlight, and also gives it some of the cooling flow from the vents. In my son's car the cup holder is in the center console, aft of the shift lever - much too far back to see the GPS screen, so one of those mounts is not a viable option for him.

- Tom -

Yes, but perhaps not in the way you might imagine.

A few prior models (in particular, the GO 630) had an issue where heat would eventually warp the bezel around the screen, causing some 'phantom' pressing of the screen.

In a different direction, there's the issue of cell temperature when charging for any battery operated device. Lithium ion cells really don't like to be charged (and further heated!) at temperatures above about 40C. In a windshield (or even NOT in the windshield) it's really easy to achieve 40C inside a car. The newer models actually advise the user that charging has been suspended due to the device temperature, and if/when the device gets cooled down again, the "Battery charging" advisory appears again.

Windshields and dashboards really are lousy locations for devices with batteries. Even discounting the charging issue, cell life is degraded just from being so hot so much of the time. In some climates where vehicles are out in the sun a great deal of the time, battery life will inevitably be lowered as a result.

I was just in Houston Texas last week. I have a 1535 live and it overheated everyday. Would get the battery will not charge to hot message.

That's why I asked, eandras- I have my new Go 1535 and driving home from work last week it alerted me that it was overheating and was shutting the charging system down. Strangely, I had just removed my sunscreen from the window not 2 minutes before. I don't recall my XL ever giving this warning. I'm pretty good mechanically, and I'm giving thought to an inverted L-shaped piece of white plastic which would attach to the TomTom mount and shade the device. It's not a necessity, just one of my Rube Goldberg ideas (I do the same thing with guitars, amplifiers and effects! :D ).

Charging was being shut down on previous models under both 'too hot' and 'too cold' conditions, but the user wasn't being warned. Attempting to charge a lithium pack when it's below 0ºC isn't allowed, either.

Sounds like your Rube Goldberg approach might get you where you want to go. If not, there are lots of alternative mount designs out there than you may be able to use as-is or in some modified form.

Ask a Question