GO 910 overheating and scrolling screen

Hi, can anyone help me with a problem we are having with our TOMTOM Go 910. On sunny days the unit seems to overheat after around an hour of operation directing us to our destination resulting in the unit continuously scrolling through various screens and giving out random directions, rendering it useless.

When it cools down it starts to operate correctly. It doesn't overheat out of direct sunlight. It's hard to find a suitable location in the car other than on the dashboard.

Has anyone had similar problems?

I have seen reports like that, not only for the 910, but for other models as well, where the heat appears to warp the casing on the unit with a result that there is additional pressure on the screen and 'phantom' keystrokes.

Can you get a mount that will fit onto the AC vent on your automobile?

We have some mods here who reside in the UK and may be able to advise what kind of specific mount to look for and where to get it.

The screen scrolling issue MAY be down to the bezel warping in the heat which can cause the same symptoms as the common "grit under the bezel" cause.

I don't know how the bezel is fixed on in the 910 model, but on other models it's usually just clipped on tightly (broken fingernails time!).

Hopefully someone else who still has a 910 can advise.

Thank you for your responses. We have looked and think you might be right that the heat is making something warp and then the screen thinks it is being pressed. We are wondering if part of the problem could be that we fix it on a bean bag instead of the window which could stop air circulating round it to cool it down. what do you think?

We have read some other threads which appear to be about the same problem. They also mentioned that screen protectors could cause the same problem. We have now taken off the screen protector and cleaned round the bezel to see if the problem improves. The only issue we now have is testing to see if the procedures we have followed have sorted the problem. We need to go on a journey of over an hour on (and here is the problem) a SUNNY day. These can be few and far between during and English summer. We will let you know the outcome if a sunny day arrives at the weekend. Hopefully before our journey to Germany at the end of the month.

We had a problem in Spain this year. At the T junction, announced , "go right , go left, turn left , turn right" . Two turn arrows on the screen and then froze. TomTom Go live 825 with Motorhome mapping and Car navigation, Free lifetime map updating on the car version mapping.

Hi, can anyone help me with a problem we are having with our TOMTOM Go 910. On sunny days the unit seems to overheat after around an hour of operation directing us to our destination resulting in the unit continuously scrolling through various screens and giving out random directions, rendering it useless.

When it cools down it starts to operate correctly. It doesn't overheat out of direct sunlight. It's hard to find a suitable location in the car other than on the dashboard.

Has anyone had similar problems?
Yes, it's very annoying. I don't know what to suggest though, let me know if y ou find a solution.

Ask a Question