.ov2 file on an SD card?

Hi, I have taken a bit of a look around to see if i can find any discussion about putting a custom POI file(.ov2) onto a memory card instead of in the internal unit. I want to be able to lend people a card I have with some custom POIs on it. Garmin nuvis can do it no problem. I am using a Go 720 and can get it to display them fine when putting on the internal storage.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The ov2 files have to be inside your map folder. If your map is on the SD card instead if the internal device that's where they go inside the map folder.

That said, if others have a similr map then they can copy the .ov2 files from the sd card into their map folder. Should work.

I can get them to display by putting them in the map folder in the internal memory fine, but i wanted to be able to have them on the memory card, like you can with a Garmin nuvi. Do you know if this is possible?

Oh, okay

Alright, thanks for the help.

Doesn't really make any sense to me why it is done like this since POIs have NOTHING to do with the map layers. But from what I've seen so far from TomTom I shouldn't be surprised.

It makes perfect sense as the options for using the POI and setting up any POI warnings will only display the POI files applicable to the map region otherwise you could be in Europe and select a POI category that only has locations in the USA! POI files are generally supplied in regional specific downloads as well to cater for this.
In addition there is a limit as to how many Custom POI Categories can exist in a any single map folder, by splitting them up it increases the total number permitted on the device as they are spread across different map folders.
Imagine selecting Nav To/ POI and having to scroll through hundreds of entries looking for the actual category you want to use - Mike

Hi, I have taken a bit of a look around to see if i can find any discussion about putting a custom POI file(.ov2) onto a memory card instead of in the internal unit. I want to be able to lend people a card I have with some custom POIs on it. Garmin nuvis can do it no problem. I am using a Go 720 and can get it to display them fine when putting on the internal storage. .
Reading your initial post over again let me answer two points.

1. In order to use a Custom POI (.ov2), it must be in the map folder (e.g. North_America) which has the locations for that POI.

2. There is nothing to stop you to make a new folder on your SD card with Windows Explorer, name it anything that is not used on the device or SC card (e.g. Custom) and put a copy of your Custom POI in it.
You can now give the SD card to you friend to copy it to his computer.

Sorry, I had not paid attention to the lending it to a friend.

Ask a Question