out of date "up to date" maps ?

I brought a tomtom classic xl and updated the maps when I first had it a a couple of weeks ago. Though the more I drive around the more I see the maps are years out of date. There must be about 20 lanes around derby/notts area which have been closed for years. Theres piles of road changes which have been there for a few years aswell. I know it says tomtom maps can't be accurate 100% but there is a fault on almost every road I go on. I would say the map is at least 2 years out of date.

Theres a huge chunk of new road in Derby which to be fair is still being built, though its a huge chunk of road and diversions which made me drive around derby for ages. Theres a lot of new roads and houses which have been there for at least a year and not on the tomtom maps.

I can do my own map corrections but isn't there a quick button to like bookmark problem areas on the map or something ? so then i can sort out all the changes when I get home ?, I cant always see road names and by the time I get back home no chance of remembering where all the faults are.

At the moment id have to spend days correcting all the map locations. I am somewhat put off bothering paying for map updates if they are going to be so wrong and out of date, even more so if I have to correct the map myself. Though for new(ish) roads I cant program in all that stuff myself (im not working free for tomtom support!). If its gonna takes years to get the proper changes id probably have given up and tried another sat-nav by then. Though if all these sat-navs use the same source of maps then it would be a bit pointless.

Is there any way to just press something on the screen quick and bookmark all these problem roads ? and transfer that list on my pc to do corrections ? Alot of corrections are roads you just can't go down, gated off or blocked off. Theres a lot of niggles with junctions. Like if there is a bend in the road with a junction on it, it will tell me to turn right, which technically is wrong as its straight on and if anything should say "keep right". In a couple of cases it tells me to turn right while the map on the screen is pointing left ?! Its not as bad as my old satnav was in that respect as half the time the directions on screen wouldn't match what it was actually saying so you end up guessing which way to go , to which I could do that just fine without a satnav!

Somewhere it says map corrections are sent to tomtom to be verified, I actually wonder if they are going to do this ? a lot of roads around here have been blocked off. I was near the old AA theme park and was trying to get somewhere and all those lanes are blocked off and indeed lanes around that area, and indeed some not so local to the area are all blocked off and have been by some 10 years or more by the looks of them.

I think tomtom should make the updating maps easier. They need something on screen that you can just press on screen to store the locations while driving around so I can sort them out later. It also needs shortcuts to select things like "blocked road at current location" options which would solve soooooo many map problems! And indeed options to store problem junctions to sort them out later. I can't stop and park on busy roads to start re-programming satnav maps!

Overall I like the thing, dont get me wrong, but the maps are just too outdated for it to be of any real use :-(

I also would love to know if tomtom can record routes I go on aswell rather than letting satnav work out the way, id rather work it out myself and have satnav store the way I went, and be able to replay the journey backwards for when i wanted to go back aswell. Actually id love to do that and forget satnav actually working out routes for itself.

All I really wanted was to have something like google map where you can plot your route and download it to the satnav. There does seem to be something like that going on with google and some satnavs but looks really expensive. I mean sat nav works out the route for you, thats what we are paying for right ? so why can't we just stuff all that and program in our routes easily like doing it on google map ? would mean a lot less complex satnav setup and I could plot the way exactly the way I want to go and have satnav just follow that route and shout out the directions for it. If anyone knows a satnav which can do that then please let me know, id get one and im sure theres millions of people who would rather work out their own route themselves anyway.

does classic xl support that kinda stuff with TYRE? In some cases it may help, but it may take longer to program all that than actually driving to some places :-(

Can classic XL record or save the route I go on ? Navigation takes me ways I do not want to go, but I cant avoid some roads as I actually join them, but in different places. So maybe 70% of the way satnav tells me to go one way, but then I go another, and when it recalculates the route, thats the one I want to use and save. Is there any options to actually save the route you just went on ? as once ive actually worked it out, I just need satnav to remember that route and replay it backwards too. May sound strange in saving the route when you know where you are going, but its impossible to remember everything, and going in reverse direction is not easy at all, which is actually the problem I have. I dont know all the road names sat nav takes me on, so I cant really use waypoints. I know about 80% of the way, satnav kinda fills in the bits I cant remember (yet) but still would help if i could jsut record the overall route in satnav and replay it, rather than satnav trying to work out where to go itself.

I will see if that option is there in the menu for road problems, thanks.

Last edited:
I dont know your model to well but on my 330XL if you goto Map Corrections > Correction Preferences > Done > I Agree (might not get this) > Done > Show report button > Done

This will put a button on the screen all the time (its kind of transparent so you can navigate around it) that when you press it it marks the error for a later map correction. Then later on you just goto map corrections and it will say "You have 3 map corrections" for example. Then you just take care of them.

Assuming your model does this. Mine is pretty basic so I'd assume it does.

As far as recording your drive for map corrections, I dont think there is anything you can use aside your own memory.

As far as the map corrections going anywhere.....I doubt it. I've yet to see a single map correction take effect on any new maps even though I will send in 20 or so every week. Some of these changes effect routing in a serious way and I'll correct it on every new map to no avail.

I'll even send in errors that are to do with things that dont effect routing. According to tele atlas I live by railroad tracks. These "railroad tracks" were taken up and turned into Sherman tanks, so I have NO idea where some of there data comes from but its obviously very out of date.

On occasion I'll see map corrections on my map that I didnt do, usually toward larger cities so some corrections make it on there from other users but few and far between...

They still have the 95/195 interchange wrong in Providence. Its been 10 months since they finished the on and off ramps. TomTom has two correct and two wrong. Navteq had all four in January.

The RI DOT sent them their data last November and I have sent several attempts at map corrections.Its not possible to explain with the pointer they have that the road that used to be a half a mile up the road is gone and there is a bridge etc. for the new ramps so I send them the link to the DOT maps which are all they need.

In addition at several points my car is flying over the water according to TomTom I wonder if they think I'm in a plane when they get my gps traces from Home.

10 months is horrible for a major highway change.

there's a road next to my house that's been there for 20 years that's not on tele atlas and i have reported once a month for 5 years and it never changes however there's a new subdivision at the end of this road that they just put on the latest map. figure that one out

I can't understand how Google Earth and Google street Views are up to date and accurate within a year yet GPS Maps are not ..???
It should be the other way around .. Or at least GPS maps and Google Earth should be hand in hand for communication and monthly updates ...

I'm worried that you can only get updated maps if you buy them.. and then the question arises ,,Would they BE accurate or two years out of date?????

I'm worried that you can only get updated maps if you buy them.. and then the question arises ,,Would they BE accurate or two years out of date?????
Most likely both, depending upon the area you are reviewing. I'm confident that the squeaky wheel of reported errors and omissions is the one that has had the most reports.

tom tom are not worth the money. the best sat nav is by far ( if you are in the uk ) the A+Z sat nav but iv never seen them on offer and there not cheep at ?350 ish. i got one after finding the A+Z web site. buy the a+z book and nearly every ware is in it including hidden walkways and so it is with the sat nav. you cant ask for more.

even the books only get printed every two years or so

Last edited:
Out of Date "Up to Date Maps"

I bought an XL for Christmas. I have a Garmin but didn't want to buy the map updates and have them be out of date. I recently moved to a subdivision that has been here for over three years. It does not show on the Garmin. I was hoping the TomTom would show it. It did not. I downloaded the most "up to date" maps and it still does not show. Very frustrating. There is also a road 1/4 mile from here that was re-routed over 6 years ago. Again, not on the "most up to date maps". I just need someone from TomTom to explain the process of updating their maps. It sounds like from reading other posts that this isn't just a south Alabama issue.

Some map changes reported to tomtom or its map supplier directly do show up in subsequent maps within 3 or 6 months. Other new subdivisions or added roads can take a much greater time...if at all.

In some regions, you'll find Garmin maps better; in others, TomTom maps are more accurate.

You can report new roads through TomTom's mapshare or you can inform the map provider (TeleAtlas) directly by going here

I just need someone from TomTom to explain the process of updating their maps.

Most governments don't tell the GPS companies when new subdivisions/roads are built. The GPS companys hire mapping vans to drive around all the roads and figure things out for themselves. There are multiple map companies in the USA. It seems that Tomtom (who owns their map company) and Navteq (the supplier) of Garmin) haven't sent a truck to your neighborhood since the subdivision was built.

Most governments don't tell the GPS companies when new subdivisions/roads are built. The GPS companys hire mapping vans to drive around all the roads and figure things out for themselves. There are multiple map companies in the USA. It seems that Tomtom (who owns their map company) and Navteq (the supplier) of Garmin) haven't sent a truck to your neighborhood since the subdivision was built.
They're certainly getting planning data from somewhere. I can point out a couple of instances here in the Front Range area where maps show streets that were never started, much less completed, when the money for the subdivisions in question dried up before they'd done more than leveled the ground in the area.

Ask a Question