One XL SD card problems

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom one XL
Well I have the TopRam 150X 4GB SD card and it's giving me all sorts of problems, I have tried FAT & FAT32 both give the same problems what happens is once the files are loaded on the card it works great no problems but once I do a update fro TT Home it freezes up and hangs and i need to do a paper clip reboot, is it possible the card is corrupted? or am I doing something wrong. I'm leaving the 1GB on the tt intact and using the SD card in it's place (FYI). any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I have the same card but on the XL-S. Home access to this card is excruciatingly slow and think the problem experienced is in Home because, when connected with the TopRam included USB adapter, the file operations are very fast. I have come to wonder if the supplied Tomtom USB cable/adapter to be the older and slower USB spec or Home to be the culprit.

When Home loads and retrieves info from the tt system, it consumes a lot of cpu resources and wonder why? It is only a DMA operation but seems to be handling it as PIO...

I also suspect the TopRam 4GB SD card to be SDHC as it came preformatted FAT32 which is what the SDHC standard requires vs FAT16 for regular SD. It is my understanding that the physical size of both are the same but the connectors and adaptors are slightly different. The only way to be sure is if, with FAT32 format, the files over 2GB are accessible within the Tomtom system.

My present workaround is to limit any large file operations to be handled with the TopRam adapter. Very small files such as the ephemeris update seem to do OK with Home and the SD card. I now use the SD card seperately connected and the internal memory connected with Home and do my operations with Total Commander, an excellent file handler that I've been using for many years and consider my Swiss knife. It even allows me to compare folders and synchronize them or compare files on content etc.

Well I have the TopRam 150X 4GB SD card and it's giving me all sorts of problems, I have tried FAT & FAT32 both give the same problems what happens is once the files are loaded on the card it works great no problems but once I do a update fro TT Home it freezes up and hangs and i need to do a paper clip reboot, is it possible the card is corrupted? or am I doing something wrong. I'm leaving the 1GB on the tt intact and using the SD card in it's place (FYI). any help will be appreciated. Thanks

My guess is that you're SD card is HC, has to be NON-HC

My guess is that you're SD card is HC, has to be NON-HC

Well it's certainly not advertised as HC and lots of people on here are using it successfully with no issues. The only thing I did not do was delete the TT's 1GIG on board and use the SD card exclusively I left it so I could revert if anything ever happened to the SD Card and I was not at home.

Well it's certainly not advertised as HC and lots of people on here are using it successfully with no issues. The only thing I did not do was delete the TT's 1GIG on board and use the SD card exclusively I left it so I could revert if anything ever happened to the SD Card and I was not at home.

:eek: Oh yeah! There's no reason to erase the internal memory!:eek:

If your card came preformatted with FAT32 it is most likely SDHC. The SDHC standard says SDHC has to be formatted FAT32. FAT16 is the standard format for SD and normally is limited to 2GB but, with large clusters, can reach a maximum of 4GB.

If your card came preformatted with FAT32 it is most likely SDHC. The SDHC standard says SDHC has to be formatted FAT32. FAT16 is the standard format for SD and normally is limited to 2GB but, with large clusters, can reach a maximum of 4GB.

So since I have formatted it already twice, not paying attention to what it came formatted with what should I format it with? fat32 or fat? when thats done I'll re try the whole card thing

..........and I thought I was the only one with this freeze/lock-up problem! My TopRam 4G card locks up when connected to TTHome. I got rid of V2.2.1.58 and went back to 2.1.1.121, which is better, but still not good. TTHome is a great concept, but the program needs refinement. I have used Windows Task Manager to watch TTHome and the program often takes up 98% of CPU resources; this is what slows it down. I even have seen it take up to 800Meg of memory. Something is not right here. Hopefully, TT will fix V2.2.1.58 soon.

So since I have formatted it already twice, not paying attention to what it came formatted with what should I format it with? fat32 or fat? when thats done I'll re try the whole card thing

Read again the 3rd paragraph of my post #2 above.

There are 2 aspects to the problem. 1- Your tomtom compatibility to a possible SDHC card. 2- If your card is SDHC or regular SD.

The documentation from Tomtom on compatibility to SDHC would indicate your tomtom (XL) would NOT be compatible with the SDHC cards. I took chances based on the facts the XL-S was unlisted in the compatibility list, the internal memory came formatted FAT32 and the XL-S model is the most recently introduced tomtom (October 2007) meaning it might have the newer SDHC adapter. I also assumed the standards for SD cards had been followed... Unless one knows the nitty gritty details of part numbers, revisions and manufacturing dates of components, there are not many ways to know for sure. I tried to know more with the Everest program but did not get the details on that part of my system.

Read again the 3rd paragraph of my post #2 above.

There are 2 aspects to the problem. 1- Your tomtom compatibility to a possible SDHC card. 2- If your card is SDHC or regular SD.

The documentation from Tomtom on compatibility to SDHC would indicate your tomtom (XL) would NOT be compatible with the SDHC cards. I took chances based on the facts the XL-S was unlisted in the compatibility list, the internal memory came formatted FAT32 and the XL-S model is the most recently introduced tomtom (October 2007) meaning it might have the newer SDHC adapter. I also assumed the standards for SD cards had been followed... Unless one knows the nitty gritty details of part numbers, revisions and manufacturing dates of components, there are not many ways to know for sure. I tried to know more with the Everest program but did not get the details on that part of my system.

Well I have formatted the card to FAT32 copied all the files over to it popped it in turned it on and it worked great, I also on the other hand downloaded the software you mentioned (Total Commander) so when I plug in my TT take the card out and use the card reader for that, I understand; now the TT will update but how do I do the card? do I have to copy over to the card again?

Well I have formatted the card to FAT32 copied all the files over to it popped it in turned it on and it worked great, I also on the other hand downloaded the software you mentioned (Total Commander) so when I plug in my TT take the card out and use the card reader for that, I understand; now the TT will update but how do I do the card? do I have to copy over to the card again?

In Total Commander there are a few ways to go about it. If you like to have total control, you can use the 5th option on the top (I now have it displaying in French but it should be ?display? or something similar) and you can get it sorted by hour. This should show all your files by date and time. Since you have 2 windows, just choose your SDHC card on one side and your internal memory on the other side. You can now see the differences and update the SDHC card with your latest updates. To help me not make stupid mistakes, I labelled my SDHC card ?TopRam? which can be done within Total Commander in Commands. The other way is also in Commands: synchronize directories. It will give you different options but usually first request to show what files are different and work from there.

You may find Total Commander intimidating at first but, if you stick with it for a week or so, you will end up using it for all your file operations. There are too many things you can do with it for me to write it all but I activate it as soon as I boot my system as I consider it essential to using my system.

Ask a Question