Newbie problems with SD card

TomTom Model(s)
GO720T
Hello one and all,

I have recently aquired a TT 720T. It works fine except for the SD card which is 'seen' with 'home' but not when the machine is in the car.
There are two folders on the SD card one with music, the other with photos.With the large map for western europe (2 go) installed in the main memory, it is very nearly full, while the SD is practically empty.
I would like to reorganise everything but unfortunately I don't know how.
The tom tom instructions are not very clear. They can't say tranfer these files a,b,c. No i't's transfer the 'root' files whatever they may be. I can't find the tree, never mind the roots.:(
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lionel

Well, I wouls suggest a 4-gig sdhc card over a 2-gig sdhc card. More flexibility.

You would move folders using Explorer. ensure hidden folders/files are showing.

If you look at the contents of your unit using Explorer, you'll see a bunch of folders and a bunch of loose files not in a folder. This is the 'root' of the unit you are looking at. The loose files compromise the operating system of the unit.

If you got a 4-gig card, you could leave the loose files on internal, use Explorer and move the specific map folders to the sdhc card. The unit will 'see' the map(s) just fine.

Hi there dhn
Thanks for your prompt reply

OK I opened the thing in explorer as you suggested. These are the files I found:

In Folders: 1) art 2)ASR 3)audiobooks 4)bin 5)contacts 6)demo 7)ephem 8)fleetcd 9)gns 10)helpme 11)home images 12)itn 13)licences 14)logging 15)loquendoTTS 16)maps 17)microbrowser 18)mp3 19)partial_updates 20)phone_database 21)photos 22)poi 23)ppp 24)program 25)raster 26)schemes 27)script 28)SIMCARD 29)sounds 30)statdata 31)text 32)TomTom HOME Install.app 33)Tom Tom-Cfg 34)voices 35)Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB

Odd single files: 37 files (including another Home install "InstallTomTomHOME.exe" same as folder 32 ???) These 37 files are the root...yes??

On the SD card......nothing (so much for "I can't display the SD contents").

So if move the folder (N?35) containing the map to the SD card, the unit should work and I've freed up quite a bit of space...right???

Lionel

Make a backup of your unit's complete contents to a folder on your pc. Ensure hidden files/foders are showing.

Now, move the Western & Central Europe folder to the sd card. Disconnect the unit PROPERLY from the pc (use the USB connect icon in your notification place [bottom right] of your pc).

Start the unit. It should still see the map.

Disconnect the unit PROPERLY from the pc (use the USB connect icon in your notification place [bottom right] of your pc).

Start the unit. It should still see the map.

It worked, thankyou. Bit of a panic at the end there was no USB connect icon showing on the system tray:eek:
Still it rebooted and seems to be working fine ,I tried a couple of new addresses at the other end of the country and it wrote the instructions same as normal.

This leads to a couple of other questions though.
The radar warnings are in this map folder I believe? When updating these warnings I presume 'home' will delete the old ones in order to add the new, yes/no???
Are there any changes to main memory when updating ?? As it seems that 'home' can only open the main memory OR the SDcard.
With the map folder now on the SDcard I am presuming I would just open the SDcard in 'home' and update.

Lionel

Lionel.....

The 720 models see the storage on a sd card **in addition** to the built in 2-gigs of storage. It's an AND situation, not an either/or situation.

Lionel.....

The 720 models see the storage on a sd card **in addition** to the built in 2-gigs of storage. It's an AND situation, not an either/or situation.

Hi dhn,

Sorry to be such a pain, I'm very new at this.

When the unit is turned on (in the car situation) my model does indeed 'see' the two memory locations. This was confirmed when it wrote instructions with the root on the main memory and the map on the SDcard.
This is indeed an 'AND' situation as you say.

However when I connect the unit to the computor using 'home' the first thing 'home' asks is "what do you want to access?".....main memory OR the SDcard.

I've got the unit connected now and having chosen the SDcard all I can 'see' is the is the card?

Lionel

If Home asks which memory location, that is proper. If the map is on the card and you select the card in Home, can you plan a route? You should be able to.

Also, in Home, there is a menu option: Device-->Switch Device and you can select internal from there. Why would you want to do that? Well, lets say you keep your voices on internal. Switch to internal, select Update my device and Home will see if there are new voices that can be dl to internal.

Then, Device-->Switch Device and select the card. Select Update again. This time, you may find a mapshare file being offered for download.

Hi dhn,

Yes, yes thats exactly how it works. And for once I have no problems understanding all
that you've said.

However I'm rather thinking of something that needs to be installed on both the card and the internal,
such as a radar warning. This seem to consist of three files, a sound file which would go in the sound
folder on the internal (I presume). An .ov2 file, which would go in the map folder on the SDcard. And lastly a .bmp file which goes....??? I don't know.

Or have I completely misunderstood this....again:rolleyes:

Lionel

Hi dhn,

Yes, yes thats exactly how it works. And for once I have no problems understanding all
that you've said.

However I'm rather thinking of something that needs to be installed on both the card and the internal,
such as a radar warning. This seem to consist of three files, a sound file which would go in the sound
folder on the internal (I presume). An .ov2 file, which would go in the map folder on the SDcard. And lastly a .bmp file which goes....??? I don't know.

Or have I completely misunderstood this....again:rolleyes:

Lionel

Yeah, well, I tend to be obtuse at times ..........:eek:

The .bmp file also goes directly into the specific map folder (along with the .ov2) file and the prefix for both the .ov2 and the .bmp must be named EXACTLY the same (case sensitive, etc.). Otherwise, you'll find a red block as the default symbol for the poi on the map.

OK Got it, .bmp and ov2 in the map folder and voice warnings in the sound folder, all with the same prefix!

Thanks for making this clear.
And thanks for your patience

Lionel

If Home asks which memory location, that is proper. If the map is on the card and you select the card in Home, can you plan a route? You should be able to.

Also, in Home, there is a menu option: Device-->Switch Device and you can select internal from there. Why would you want to do that? Well, lets say you keep your voices on internal. Switch to internal, select Update my device and Home will see if there are new voices that can be dl to internal.

Then, Device-->Switch Device and select the card. Select Update again. This time, you may find a mapshare file being offered for download.

I have read a number of threads devoted to issues regarding this and other memory related problems.

Would the best solution be to just buy say a 4 or 8 gb sdhc card and having already performed a full Windows backup then just stick everything on the sd card and not bother with the internal memory at all.

There are those that run their unit precisely that way, everything on the sdhc card.

But it all depends on what is convenient for the user, I suppose. I have my map on the card, everything else on internal. Pretty easy to remember that (so far ........ )

Ask a Question