One XL-s Fails to Backup

When trying to do a backup through Home 2.3 it gets 80% done and then gives me an error message that says, "An error occurred while reading this file: "E:\USA_and_Canada\cname.dat" An error occurred while writing to this file: "C:\Documents and Settings\.......".

I then have to disconnect the tomtom and push the reset button because it is frozen with the "Please Wait" screen displayed. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Why don't you do your backup manually with 'Windows Explorer' ('My Computer')? Your unit shows up as an external hard drive. Just copy the contents over to a folder on your hard drive.

When trying to do a backup through Home 2.3 it gets 80% done and then gives me an error message that says, "An error occurred while reading this file: "E:\USA_and_Canada\cname.dat" An error occurred while writing to this file: "C:\Documents and Settings\.......".

I then have to disconnect the tomtom and push the reset button because it is frozen with the "Please Wait" screen displayed. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you use an SD card or is that internal memory? If the first case, I recommend using a card reader as it may be too fast for your USB cable.

I just got the unit and I'm trying to do a backup, so its off internal memory. Even just trying to copy with windows explorer it bombs on the USA_and_Canada folder. Doesn't seem to want to move that file at all. I ordered an SD card though, If I copy all the files except that USA_and_Canada folder to the SD card can I just re-download the maps?

If I copy all the files except that USA_and_Canada folder to the SD card can I just re-download the maps?

I think you should contact customer service. The maps are the only thing that cost money, so they will probably want you to show them a proof of purchase receipt before they will replace your defective map.

They may also have a suggestion on how to repair the damaged map file.

Well that bites. Just tried copying the USA_and_Canada folder on another computer, same problem. "Cannot copy cname.dat, invalid parameters". I guess I will call customer service tomorrow.

Same backup problem

Nocturnx , Did you resolve your problem with backing up? I've been reading the forums and this is exactly the same problem I have . How did you sort it out?

I apologize but have to ask. Is your map legitimate? In other words, you bought the unit with the map installed? If not, that may explain things and don't expect help here .......

BUT......

If legitimate, try this: Make sure folder options (assuming Windows XP) is set to show hidden files/folders.

Then, try backing up the unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Also make sure extensions for known file types is set to show.

(both above settings reached via Control Panel-->Folder Options, advanced window.)

Yes it is a legit copy,bought it as a factory refurb from amazon. I have the settings as you described and have tried both straight copy and a backup and both ways it lockups in the map folder on various files. If I copy everything but the map folder it copies in under a minute ,with the map folder of the US and Canada the timer shows a initial time remaining as 29 minutes. I am just guessing that it is some kind of copy protection because a little over 850 megs should not take nearly that long.
What I am trying to do is just get the old map copied so I can install the new map internally. I have the new map on a card along with the other file to make it all run but even with a fast SD card it seems to run a bit sluggish
I don't want to just delete it because it has a map of Canada and the update is just the US.
Well thanks for any help you can provide.

Yes it is a legit copy,bought it as a factory refurb from amazon. I have the settings as you described and have tried both straight copy and a backup and both ways it lockups in the map folder on various files. If I copy everything but the map folder it copies in under a minute ,with the map folder of the US and Canada the timer shows a initial time remaining as 29 minutes. I am just guessing that it is some kind of copy protection because a little over 850 megs should not take nearly that long.
What I am trying to do is just get the old map copied so I can install the new map internally. I have the new map on a card along with the other file to make it all run but even with a fast SD card it seems to run a bit sluggish
I don't want to just delete it because it has a map of Canada and the update is just the US.
Well thanks for any help you can provide.

What you need to do right now is use the Latest Map Guarantee and see if an update is available. I bought my refurbished unit 3 weeks ago and it came with map version 710 and was offered a free update to 725. If you qualify for a free upgrade (if your map is old) you can just download the new map which will overwrite your old corrupted map.

Even if the new map installation fails, it will already be first downloaded locally to your PC vis HOME. What you will want to do (IF THE FIRST UPDATE/INSTALLATION FAILS) is delete the corrupted map folder off your device and "add map" that you just downloaded from TomTom HOME. When you go to add the map to your device, it should show your map's location as "My computer" and then you can just immediately install the new map to the device. This JUST happened to me and these steps are what I did and all worked well.

If you aren't able to download a new map because yours is already the newest version, simply call tech support and they will add that map to your HOME account for you to download free of charge.

Last edited:
Have you tried to do a ?chkdsk? on the internal memory drive letter? You may have a corrupted FAT table and explain your trouble. I had that problem occur a couple of months ago on the same file and corrected it with the /f parameter while not converting links to files.

Ask a Question