ONE 125 came out of package with a screen that has fine lines and is blurry

TomTom Model(s)
one 125
Got this ONE 125 as a gift from Grandma. After I opened the sealed package, charged it. THe screen comes up with fines lines all across it and is blurry. using it for directions works fine if I could only see thru the fine lines and blurred screen to see where I am going. not on warranty anymore(of course). Trying to find a way to cure this blurriness????
Tried rebooting, and more. Any suggestions out there??

How long did you charge the battery for? Try for at least a few hours...................

That's not a problem I've seen before. Any chance you could provide a reasonably sharp photo of the screen showing the problem as you see it? ("macro" setting may be required, if you have it on your camera)

SSCN0770.JPG

above is a photo of what my screen looks like ....as you can hopefully see there are fine lines and a certain fogginess to the picture. when I press on the screen everything works but I just can not read anything clearly. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

How long did you charge the battery for? Try for at least a few hours...................
oh, yes it has been charged for enough time. putting in directions is not a problem, I just can't see them.

My guess is that it's a hardware fault.
As a first suggestion I would try opening up the case and VERY carefully unlatching the large flat ribbon cable which connects the screen to the main circuit board, then re-attaching it.

Instructions and videos on how to open the case are available on the web for most models if you do a Goole search for "Battery change on TomTom xxx".

The ribbon cable connector has two TINY latches at the ends which need to be lifted up or out with something like a jewellers screwdriver (they should only move a mm or two) and the cable should then pull out easily. Wipe the old contacts on a piece of tissue and replace.

If that doesn't fix it, you 'll need to replace the screen (it's easiest to replace it AND the digitiser as a single unit), they are usually available on eBay.

Agreed. You only want to lift those little latches a tiny bit to release the flex cable. We've had a number of owners try to lift them to 90 degrees and break them. The total angle you can and need to lift them isn't more than about 30 degrees, tops.

Ask a Question