Offline route planning

We have just purchased a TT GO930. Our previous GPS was Garmin Nuvi which came with Mapsource software that enabled us to plan routes without being connected to the internet which was very handy when travelling overseas. Does TomTom have this option or must we be online to be able to plan a route? Thank you.

Your 930 has itinerary planning. You can simply power up the 930 and select itinerary planning and add waypoints/destinations by address, intersection, city center, coords, etc. If you are on-line, TYRE and Google Maps make it very easy to plan an itinerary and download it to your 930.

Thank you for your replies. I guess it is just a matter of getting used to a different system for my route planning after a number of years using Mapsource.

I find myself often not following an itinerary to the point and find it much more convenient to set up a personal POI category and enter all possible addresses for the trip as POIs.
Driving from Toronto to Albany I prefer to go through the Adirondacks instead of taking the fastest route via the Thruway and Buffalo. Instead of going through the process of making an itinerary I have POIs for the city center in Ogdensburg, NY and Lake Placid. Just before getting to the towns I call up the next one and am led through them via the fastest route.

I usually make my plans using Google Maps, trying to squeeze in as much mountain driving as possible.
In June/July I drove 14,000 km and on the fourth day made changes as I gained Time Zones and considerably higher speed limits than expected. In my trip POI I had several small by-way sections for the Black Hills, SD in hopes that time may allow to take some.of them. Sice I had gained 200 miles the day before, I was able to drive most of the hoped for by-ways.

I use Tyre after I made the POI to rename the places so that the first word becomes the significant one (town, address, attraction, etc.) when opening the POI. Tyre keeps the coordinates of a point in a separate register from the description so the location will not be changed although one can also drag the coordinates somewhere else (like the parking lot of a huge place instead of it's official street address.

Just another way to try maybe.

Ask a Question