not sure this is a "tweak"

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
During our trip we listened to audio books through the car Radio via the FM transmitter. I used 99.1 as the station and in two areas of the trip, about 200 miles from here, we had other station spillover which is normal in some places. Had to shut the book off for a bit on the way up.
One of the times, on the way back, I reached to tap the quick menu and then jukebox, I put my hand over the top of the 720 and was going to use my thumb to tap. The interference stopped. I pulled my hand away.......started back up.......hand on.......stopped.
So I took it off the windshield mount and the wife held it on the car seat next to her leg. We never had anymore trouble after that. Listened for hours and drove on home. Seemed we were an antennae or shield or something.

The other thing that happened was driving through Dawsonville, Ga. we were in the very downtown area and starting and stopping at red lights. Listening to the book but.....when I would put on the brake there would be interference/static. Did it like 5-6 times, no doubt the brake was causing it. After leaving that 3-4 block area.......never happened again and has never happened here locally.

Anyway....the FM transmitter works great most of the time and saves having cd's all over and having to change them.

The human body makes an excellent FM radio antenna. You can try the same trick on your stereo at home.

Some humans make better antennas than others; I haven't figured out why. I remember back in high school I went to summer camp in the mountains and one of my fellow campers was such a good antenna that all she had to do was be within about 10 feet of the radio.

Bobinsc:

If you intend to use your TT for MP3/Books over the long haul/long term....??

[if you can] --- I'd suggest bypass'ing the FM Modulator and utilizing TT's line output port. But, you need a head unit with an input. Overall sound quality is 10 times better and you never have to deal with drifting FM signals.

Ask a Question