No Tomtom needed to arrange updates

TomTom Model(s)
Go930 (NA, NZ, West Europe and OZ Maps) XXL540(Oz Map)
:)

Hi everyone,

If this is common knowledge, then apologies. I discovered this by accident.

If you have all of the TT files and folders loaded onto an SDHC card, this when attached to a PC via a USB reader seems to operate just like a TT loaded on its dock or cable.

It means you can update, get map corrections etc without taking a risk that something that happens during the update, etc will brick the TT.

Obviously it is only useful for those devices that have an SD slot, but after a successful download, you are able to load the new version to the TT by exchanging SD cards. If for some reason the download crashes, then formatting the SD card, copying the TT contents across to it and then reattaching the SD card via a reader will get you a second risk free shot at the update.

It requires that the TT internal memory is free of the OS and other files and folders (I think, as this was the way my TT was configured at the time - I'm not sure what the TT hardware would do if there were two different versions of the software available in different locations and I'm not about to discover the result), but they can easily be copied across from the backup you took - you did do an Explorer backup didn't you?

Cheers

Go930user

It's maybe not common knowledge, but it's been mentioned here a few times.
Using a card reader as a "pseudo-TomTom" can be especially useful when a device's internal memory fails so badly that the PC refuses to look at the card slot either.

Also, for info, It doesn't matter if there is a version of the system files on the internal memory. The unit will look at the SD card first and boot from there if it finds a valid system. If not, it moves to the internal memory and boots from there.

Having said that, there have been a few reoprts of times when it gets confused and still uses some other files (such as TTS voices) from the "other" place.

Ask a Question