No space left?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE 3RD ED.
Hi all, Does anyone know how much available space (MB'S) is on the TT1-3rd
right out of the box? After installing TT-Home i was told an update was
available so i installed the update. Now my unit tells me there is 977.9MB's
used and 0.4 MB free space, there's nothing left? My question is with a
total of 1GB does the already installed USA and CAN. maps take up 852.2MB's
of space right from the start? Second question can the maps of USA-CAN.
be deleted and just USA reinstalled? Thanks Ron

First of all, you can't divide up the map.

As for freeing up space, try deleting all the voices you will never use.

46jimbo, Thanks for the comeback it;s hard to believe that after one update
i'm done with space. And now down the road so to speak there's no more
room for new updates? Yes i will remove two of the four voices but were
not really gaining any space to talk about.

Hi dcourteau, With that being my first software update would your
suggestion apply to me now? Also with me living on Long Island, NY.
and no plans of traveling outside the north east anytime soon, now i'm
wondering if i should delete USA and CAN. and purchase the N.E. map
for $40 bucks more (that blows). I kinda thought that the unit had 1gb
after the maps were installed.

Look, at the moment you are concerned about a potential problem that hasn't happened yet. Obviously, every One owner is in the same situation, so I would assume that the unit is designed to work like this.

So I wouldn't make a move until you actually find that you have a problem affecting your unit. Go out and enjoy it!

Look, at the moment you are concerned about a potential problem that hasn't happened yet. Obviously, every One owner is in the same situation, so I would assume that the unit is designed to work like this.

So I wouldn't make a move until you actually find that you have a problem affecting your unit. Go out and enjoy it!

Absolutely I agree with you 46jimbo and I am one of those who will have this problem as I now own a one 3rd edition, but I still believe this is and will be an issue I hope I'm wrong and TT has a work around when and if the problem does come along. As for now I will try and enjoy it as much as possible.

I've had my TT1 3rd since Black Friday & hook it up for any updates quite often, also have TT Home on it. The 977.9 MB's you refer to is the total amount that's available in the unit & not what you're using.

I've put in tons of POI's & I still show 73.9 MB's free space. Go to TT Home & look at the contents page & see what's eating up all of your space.

If it helps mine shows....
App's of 10 MB's
Maps show 858.6 MB's.
POI's 10.6 MB's
Voices 13.5 MB's
Color "Tiny" space used
Quick fix is o.1 MB

Follow-up : I spoke to technical at TomTom and Yes the One 3rd,ED. Is in
fact filled to compacity after your first update.
Applications -10.0 MB's
Maps - USA-CAN. -858.2 MB's
Voices [email protected]'s and [email protected] -Total 2.5MB's
Quick GPS Fix Data -0.1 MB's
Total Capacity - 977.9 MB's and Free Space Available - 0.4 MB's
Also Technical stated that if i want to install a new voice i would have to
delete the others since 0.4MB is not enough space for it.
And if a new update is available the new update SHOULD remove the
previous one, but that's a wait and see.

User Name, After what technical said to me and my numbers and your
numbers being so different (you having so much more) can we be talking
about the same unit? Good Luck and enjoy it. Thanks Ron

Sorry, been out of town, mine is a TT1 3rd Edition.

By adding up your numbers you've used 870.3 MB's out of 977.9 total MB's. You should have 107.6 MB's free. Am I over looking something?

Where are you finding the .4 at, from the bottom of the "Contents" page in TT Home?

The US and Canada map set uses up almost 900MB alone(for the 675 map). The rest is taken up by voice, POI, and application files.

You can buy a 2GB SD card and copy the contents of your 1GB card over to it, which will give you the extra space you want/need. The real key is making sure the card you buy will work with your device if you go with a 4GB card.

I just did a brief Google search on this, and make sure the new card is formatted properly. Most SD cards come pre-formatted with a FAT filesystem, which will not work well with a 4GB card, and will never be able to work on a card that is larger than 4GB.

Now, I have a Palm Treo 680 as my device, so I know what types of cards it can handle, so I just buy a new card, and format the card on my PC(with a card reader) using the FAT32 file system, and the larger cards work fine.

The reason there can be a problem with larger cards is the support for FAT32 may not be there, or the device you use does not know how to format using the FAT32 filesystem. The reason for this is that when a filesystem is designed, the design specifies how many bits are supported for the filesystem, as well as the number of bits used to record the file sizes. FAT/FAT16 support up to 4GB total filesystem size, which is a 32 bit number for the total size. FAT32 supports a larger size, but it isn't THAT big, it goes up to around 40 gigs or so, maybe 60 gigs, which is a huge improvement.

FAT32 has a limit of 32 bits for the size of an individual file though, which is why you can't copy files larger than 4GB to/from a FAT32 file system. This is where NTFS comes in(supported by Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Vista).

So, for now, all devices support a FAT filesystem, but not all will work with FAT32 formatted cards. That is the question on the Tomtom devices that I can't answer. Anyway, here is the info on SD cards that should help you:

Here is the link to the discussion I was reading:
http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1202815

And the information you need from that thread:
Originally Posted by Barnel View Post
Very important is the cluster size of your card. You will get the best results with the following cluster sizes. Use the DOS box for formatting your card. I`m using a Transcend 4 GB / 150x with best results (16K), even with big Western Europe map.

Less than 4 GB (FAT16):
2 GB SD (SanDisk) FAT16 mit 32K: format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K

4 GB and more (FAT32):
4 GB SD or SDHC (Transcend) FAT32 mit 16K: format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K

"X" is the drive letter.

User Name, What i'm trying to say is that this is what my device is
telling me what is used and what is available, this is what is from
the contents page. And yes the bottom of the Contents it says
i have 0.4 available space left, Now i call 1-866-486-6866 and they tell
me the numbers that i have are right that there is no more space
available.
I was even told that i don't have enough space to install a new voice
that i would have to delete voices to install others.
Targonis, very informative BUT the one 3rd, ED. doesn't have a card slot
only internal memory of 1GB. Take Care, Ron

BTW : User Name no need for apoligies, and thanks for posting back
Check out this great site i visit everyday for new electronics :
http://gizmodo.com/

On my TT One 3rd Edition I removed the following:

Maps: Guam
POI: Schools, Firestations
Voices: All non-English

I installed the update as well as the QuickGPSfix Data and I'm left with 40.5MB of space.

Bill

Ask a Question