No Sound

I have had my Tom Tom One for a few years now, after about 12 months though it suddenly stopped giving me voice directions. Sometimes it would work others not at all. I initially thought that this was maybe due to a bad connection,so got used to not listening out for directions! However I have to replace the battery as it no longer charges correctly due to age. After taking the unit apart I checked the connections to the speaker and on the board all seems ok.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

It could be corrupt software or a broken speaker.

You can try removing and reinstalling the voices and application with Tomtom HOME. That may help if it is a software problem.

First backup per this link.

Then in HOME go to "remove items", "items on my device", and remove the application and voices.

Then go to "update my device" to get your application back.

Then "add traffic/voices" -> voices to reinstall your voices.

I have the exact same problem with my Tomtom One 3rd Edition.
Occasionally it will spit out an instruction and then be silent for weeks or months.
I can not recall exactly when it began, but I think it might have started after a backup and restore.
I have had my unit apart and am confident that the speaker is in good working order.
I am going to do another backup and look for new files to restore and do it using Windows Explorer and not the Tomtom utility.
So, where can I find a complete list of files to backup?

Tai

So, where can I find a complete list of files to backup?

You only need to backup the USA_and_Canada folder.

Also, if you purchased a premium voice, you should back up your voices folder.

Home will freely reinstall everything else onto the ONE. The map would have to be re-purchased if deleted.

I've got a working map, USA and Canada, a new downloaded application, but still have no sound.
My program and sound folders are empty and my voices folder is full of recovered file fragments.
So what belongs in the program and sound folders and what files make up a voice?
I did remove the voices and application from my device and did an update using TT Home.
Then I clicked on Add Traffic, Voices, Safety cameras, etc. and still no voices or any sounds at all.
I'm going to remove the voices from my device and the computer and do another Add.

I feel so screwed.
Tai

just copy your map folder to your computer hard drive using windows explorer (set to show hidden/system files first).

Then you can format your tomtom, copy the map folder back, and run update my go to get everything (application and non-premium voices) back.

My Tomtom won't restart to finish the update.
Do these instructions work for the One as well as the Go?
I'm going to do it all again just in case my situation is a fluke.

The steps should work on all Tomtoms.

If the reset doesn't happen when it should, close HOME, wait for the red X on the Tomtom to disappear (if present), unplug the Tomtom, do a pin reset, and then reopen HOME and resume the updates.

Tomtom Home will not restart my device.
I also do not see any hidden files in my map folder.
I'm running Vista and show hidden files is set in my control panel.
I've gone through every Tomtom related folder on my computer and not a single one has a hidden file in it.
I'll boot up my Linux Box and see if any of the Tomtom folders has any hidden files.
My Tomtom does show up as a USB device in the Linux.
I'm done for the night.
I'll work on this tomorrow when I get home from work.
Thanks for the help so far.
Hopefully there will be an answer waiting for me tomorrow.

So I assume you completed:
- the copying of the map folder to your computer
- formatting of the Tomtom
- copying the map folder back to the tomtom

Then you tried to update in HOME and the reboot wouldn't work.

First question, did the format take over 60 minutes? If so, the Tomtom memory is probably wearing out. I this is the case, call Tomtom for warranty repair (if within warranty), otherwise you may be out of luck and need a new Tomtom.

If the reboot doesn't work, try unplugging the Tomtom and doing a pin reset.

if that doesn't work, close HOME, then use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the Tomtom. Then turn off/on the Tomtom, and then start up HOME and see if you can upgrade and install voices.

I reformatted this morning and it took 43 minutes.
I extracted the folder onto the Tomtom and tried an update.
The red X remained.
I shut down Home, did a reset, turned the Tomtom off and on, and started Home again.
The QuickGPSfix was due for an update but it would not finish.
I still have the red X.
I'm going to do another format, go through my notes and this thread to make a step by step list to make sure I'm not making any mistakes, and try again.
If I need another Tomtom, are there any recommendations?

Thanks for all your help and patients.

I assume you've tried the suggestions here or the ones here -- especially the last 2 links on the page?

The red X signifies the application cannot be found. We're trying to resolve that by restoring the application.

If DHN's link doesn't work, try these steps, they are more thorough.

If they still don't work, try a different computer and USB cable, perhaps you have a hardware issue.

If it still has problems after doing the above steps on another computer/USB, the Tomtom may be bad. If so, call Tomtom phone support. They should walk you through similar repair steps, and warranty-swap it if they can't get it resolved.

My friend sent me a .zip of his friend's Tomtom One.
I copied it onto mine and put my maps on and it is working, but still no sound.
I'm going to back it up in Windows and do an update then back it up again.
I don't believe the sound issue is software related.
I think it is hardware related and I'm going to look for another Tomtom.

Thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question