No sound from TT700 for BT speakerphone

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One V2
Hi all... forum newbie here. Very cool set of forums you have here, by the way.

I'm a TomTom One v2 owner but presently having a problem with my in-laws' TomTom Go 700. I've paired it to my Sony W810i phone and everything seems to work perfectly except that I don't hear the remote party through the TomTom's speaker. I can mute the mic of the TT via the phone menus, xfer the call from TT to handset (then I can hear the other end just fine) and xfer back (but then no sound again). BT wireless data for TT Plus services also works fine.

The phone itself works fine with two other BT headsets I have, so I'm sure it's not a phone issue.

So would this be a "typical" BT compatibility problem? I always thought BT problems were related to pairing. This just seems very odd to me that the speaker output does not work when everything else does. It's almost as if the TT speaker is muted somehow. Oh yeah, as another test, when I play with the TT Volume preferences while a call is established I get no sound from that, which is perhaps expected since a call is in progress. In other words, even TT thinks it is busy with a speakerphone call and so doesn't do the normal volume test when asked to.

Any ideas please??? This is driving me nuts... Thanks!

Hello and welcome.
This is not normal behavior.
I suggest you to do a pin reset on your unit to see if this helps.
Have you tried to remove the phone and repair it?
Good Luck

Hello and welcome.
This is not normal behavior.
I suggest you to do a pin reset on your unit to see if this helps.
Have you tried to remove the phone and repair it?
Good Luck

Yeah, I'm thinkin' not normal, indeed.

I did eventually try a pin reset yes. In fact, that became absolutely necessary because the sound completely stopped working altogether. I was testing a few calls with no success, got fed up and decided to disable BT on the TT. I fully expected the Volume test to work after that and it didn't!!! There was one little utterance and then it went silent. Went to the Voice menu to try some test voices and it was the same thing. Heard the first word and that was all. Pressing it subsequent times when it should have been playing other samples brought only silence. When I switched voices I would get the first word again and then silence... very strange. Pin reset addressed that issue at least.

What do you mean by "remove the phone and repair it"? What phone are you talking about? Or do you simply mean BT disconnect from my Sony phone and do that pin reset?

I don't have much experience in actually *using* this unit. I never noticed anything during navigation that would lead me to believe it had a problem with its speaker/audio-out. I can ask the in-laws when they return from vacation if they've ever noticed it "cutting out" or anything like that.

thanks... keep the ideas coming if you think of anything please.

-Rob

Last edited:
Ok, here's something new. Not sure how I missed it before but in the Mobile Phone->Phone Preferences menu I see an item called "Speaker Preferences" which I cannot select - it is greyed out. I don't even recall seeing this menu item in there before.

Anyone know to get that item activated so I can select it? Time to consult the manual... hopefully there's an answer in there.

And here's a link to someone else having the same problem - same phone as mine too, which scares me. Funny how "speaker preferences" got me the right stuff on Google. :)
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56466&highlight=

and one more:
http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?i=112333&thread=2745

Looks like a TT bug to me but I'd have to try a few different BT phones to see if the results are the same. I only have the SEW810i to test with at present.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion.
Yes I meant to unpair the phone and repair it.

What software version does the 700 have? I noticed a while back there was a phone update. It didn't mention what that update was for. But I did notice it when I had to updated someone's new ONE.

Sorry for the confusion.
Yes I meant to unpair the phone and repair it.

What software version does the 700 have? I noticed a while back there was a phone update. It didn't mention what that update was for. But I did notice it when I had to updated someone's new ONE.

Ah... "re-pair"... funny. Why didn't I see that.

The version... It's running 6.520, OS:1387 Boot 4.86.

Thanks,
Rob

You do have the latest firmwire installed.
Strange. I don't know what else would help.
I know there is a clear flash tool but I only seen it for the x10 range.
If you contact TT Support they may have one for your model.

Ask a Question