No gps signal

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
Have legacy TT XL which was working perfectly until I tried to update two weeks ago. Since then I have no gps signal. Have tried normal reboot, reset, reupdate but no signal. I have a full backup. Is it possible to fix it or should I just get a new one?

Having already tried the first things I would try, the next would be to remove the content of the 'ephem' folder (not the folder itself) in the root of your unit. Don't allow Home to touch your unit until after you've seen how that works out. If it works, also delete all content (they'll be folders) in the My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Backup/complete/ephemeris folder.

If removing the content of the 'ephem' folder on your unit does not help, then restore the backup you have made.

Last edited:
Removing the contents of the ephen folder seemed to work. I want to check it out further today before claiming success. I have no My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Backup/complete/ephemeris folder in my TT to delete.

Jack

I found the suggested deletion files on my desktop in the TT folder. Are these the files to delete with no further change to the TT itself?

Jack

I found the suggested deletion files on my desktop in the TT folder. Are these the files to delete with no further change to the TT itself?

Jack

No other changes should be necessary to change on the TT itself; at least I haven't had to do anything else on mine.

Not that you'll need these instructions, but I keep them on my computer "how-to" folder as a reminder the next time I need to update those QuickGPSFix files:

1) Connect your TomTom device, to your PC
2) Browse your TomTom folders using Windows Explorer.
Delete the \ephem folder contents located on your TomTom.
3) Safely disconnect your device from the PC
4) Reset your device following the instructions from TomTom's website
5) On your PC, browse the My Documents\TomTom\
HOME\Download\Complete\ephemeris.
Delete the \ephemeris folder on your computer.
6) On your PC browse the My Documents\TomTom\HOME\FromDevice.
Delete the \FromDevice folder on your computer. (this might never contain anything, but . . .)
7) Open TomTom HOME without the unit connected to the PC
8) Select "Update My Device." When prompted, connect your TomTom to the PC and turn it on. Ignore all errors (including return failure codes or messages prompting to restart your TomTom) by clicking BACK or OK
9) You should now see QuickGPSFix as an option to install as an update. Select it and click INSTALL

GPS no signal

Hi Alfie67 and thanks for the help.

TT worked perfectly all day so I can consider the problem fixed. Thanks to you and the Tom Tom forum.

Jack

@genanady
What have you tried so far? You can see the steps we took the previous user through.

My Tom Tom only seems to work every other time I use it, the rest of the time I'm waiting for a valid GPS signal. Is there a fault do you think>

:thumb:When no GPS signal in any Tom Tom, before deleting anything, make sure it is not in 'Airplane mode'. which disables the GPS signal. This particularly applies to Ipad and Iphone etc.

Ask a Question