No autorun option in Windows 7

Hi,

I have TomTom Start XC. My computer configuration is Windows 7 Home Premium. I have registered with MyTomTom , downloaded the Home package and installed it.

Now when I connect my device and keep it on, an auto run icon appear with 'Picture Option' & 'General Options'. There is no other options to run it. :(
Still MyTomTom icon on the right hand bottom corner says- Device not connected.

FGS, is there no way for me to update mytomtom? :confused:

Why dont TomTom people keep it simple to install and download? I guess majority might not have problem- but shouldnt it be easier. :rolleyes:

MY MISTAKE:
The default autorun wasnt working properly. I searched some threads here. I think I viewed one other thread for 'TomTom Home' and changed my autorun.inf file. Now cant remember the original one.
Current one is

[autorun]
action=Run TomTom HOME
#open=InstallTomTom.exe
open="C:\Program Files\MyTomTom 3\MyTomTomSA.exe"
label=TomTom
icon=tomtom.ico
[DeviceInstall]
#This section is empty; autorun will not install device drivers to your PC.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have TomTom Start XC. My computer configuration is Windows 7 Home Premium. I have registered with MyTomTom , downloaded the Home package and installed it.
To be honest, I have never heard of that device. If it is actually designed to be operated with MyTomTom (and not TomTom Home), it will be one of the newest platform devices, and I've personally not heard of one of those called the Start. Perhaps one of the other mods has run across one of these? If not, can you give us some details about what it is you own? This may be a pseudonym for a model with which we are familiar, or ???

There was a "Start" and a "Start 2" in the UK, and mvl's schart says the Start 2 was released in the US as the "Ease".

Both of those use TomTom Home.

I've never heard of a "Start XC" but there may be some new Start models appearing which *do* use MyTomTom.

raymondel... you may be mixed up between "TomTom Home" and "MyTomTom". These are two totally different programs and are used for different models.

As I say, I've never heard of a Start XC - are you sure about that? Can you tell us the first two letters of your serial number? (the one on the base next to the barcode).

As far as I know, (and I could be wrong), the current Start models use 'Home', so installing or running MyTomTom won't be any use to you.

If you have got Home installed, can you run it manually from the Windows Start menu?

Hi,
Sorry if it had caused confusion.

Okay, my device is TomTom
It is Start model

Model comes as 1EX00 or 1EXOO (difficult my eyes cant differentiate between 0 & O)

Serial comes as XC248____616 (u could delete the serial if i m not supposed to put the serial)

Bought few months back from argos Shop Online with Argos.co.uk - your Online Catalogue for Home Shopping

Whenever i switched on my navigator it said to get latest updates. So checked the userguide- said to check tomtom.com/home.

So registered with the website, downloaded and installed the MyTomTom software.

URL: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted/gs_thanks.jsp#dl-windows

It asked me to connect the device. After I connect the device, all other options other than autorun option appeared as i posted in my first thread.

By mistake, i changed the default autorun.inf file whilst checking someother thread. Full details as in 1st post.

Maybe I should have downloaded it from this rather than above.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2latest/TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe

Now I changed the autorun.inf file- will that make any difference

Cheers guys

Last edited:
Oops. Looks like I have downloaded 'MyTomTom' software. I should have installed 'TomTom Home'.

Now I have installed TomTom Home & i have updated my software. Seems all done inspite of changing my autorun.inf.

Hopefully wont cause any problems in future.

Thanks a lot Canderson & Andy

Sorted... well done!

Unless you know beforehand, I can imagine it is VERY easy to follow the wrong route through TT's website and end up with "MyTT" instead of "Home".

The only difference autorun.inf should make is whether Home runs by itself as soon as you connect theTomTom to your PC.
Personally, I hate that and disable it straight away. I just run the program from the Start menu when *I* want it to.

Irrespective of what I have done with my autorun.inf file, it now autoruns without any prompt as soon as I connect my device.
Yep, its so easy to get confused to download MyTomTom software instead of TomTom Home even though it appears in the front page.

Ask a Question