Newbie questions

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One 3rd
I just received the TomTom 1 3rd edition and I love it but I have 2 questions. Can I buy other personalities voices other than John Cleese and when you do buy them they are listed in English currency not US currency. Am I doing something wrong? Also does this model give you a list of different types of resturants on your journeys? I am from Booneville Mississippi and I used it this AM and it was a no brainer. Love it! Also can one use thisunit when walking and finding directions?

Last edited:
As TomTom is a Dutch company, often maps and accessories are priced in other currencies: pounds or euros. Don't fret! Your credit card does all the conversions for you.

As for the restaurant POIs, it doesn't break them down into type of restaurant unfortunately. Others have complained about this limitation.

Yes, you can use your TomTom for walking. There is even a 'Walking' option when you plan a route. (Basically, it ignores one-way streets.) Just realize that the battery life isn't that long. And the unit is only good for when you are on the streets. It's not an off-road GPS.

If you Google for "Tomtom voices", you'll find several websites that have various collections of voices. Some are free, some cost a few dollars.
I've downloaded a Steve Irwin sound-alike, as well as Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy) and a couple of British radio personalities. I've seen Homer Simpson, Darth Vader, Yoda, and many others too.

Welcome to the forum. As you have already discovered there are a lot of people here who can help.

Ask a Question