Newbie misc. questions

Hi all.

I've had a TT One for a couple of years. After taking a ride in a buddies car who has a Nuvi 780, thought it was time to start thinking about an upgrade. The Nuvi has some things that I liked, and some that I didn't. If I stick with TT, I had a couple of questions about the Go 730T.

IQ Routes and Advanced Lane Guidance...marketing hype or can't live without it?

One thing that drives me crazy about the One, is if I am on the freeway and there is an exit only lane coming up, it takes that as the next "turn" and says keep left. So I can't really see how far I have to go until the exit that I need to take, it only shows how far it is to the next exit that has an exit only lane. Is that something that all TomTom's do, or is it only because my One doesn't do spoken street names?

Also, is the mount on the unit as bad as I've read in some reviews?

thanks for any help.

p

IQ routing and ALG are really useful features.

If you look at the map while driving, there is an indicator of how long your journey is and also another distance indicator to your next turn. So, while my 720 does say 'keep left' when an exit is coming up, I also can see how many miles (or km in my case) to where I WILL be taking my next turn.

Thanks, but let me clarify.

Let's say I have trip of 50 miles.

30 of those miles are on the freeway.

On the Nuvi, once I get on the freeway, the next "turn" that it tells me that I have to be aware of is 30 miles away.

On my TT One, the next "turn" that is coming up is wherever the next exit only lane is. So even though my exit is 30 miles away, when I look at my display, it says the next turn is 1 mile away.

In most urban areas in California, almost every exit has an exit only lane.

So one of two things happens. Either I eventually mentally tune it out, or physically turn the volume off.

Not a deal breaker, but it is something that has been an annoyance to both me and my wife since I've been using it. Until I saw that the Garmin didn't do the same I just figured it was something that I had to live with.

Thanks, but let me clarify.

Let's say I have trip of 50 miles.

30 of those miles are on the freeway.

On the Nuvi, once I get on the freeway, the next "turn" that it tells me that I have to be aware of is 30 miles away.

On my TT One, the next "turn" that is coming up is wherever the next exit only lane is. So even though my exit is 30 miles away, when I look at my display, it says the next turn is 1 mile away.

In most urban areas in California, almost every exit has an exit only lane.

So one of two things happens. Either I eventually mentally tune it out, or physically turn the volume off.

Not a deal breaker, but it is something that has been an annoyance to both me and my wife since I've been using it. Until I saw that the Garmin didn't do the same I just figured it was something that I had to live with.

What I found on long island ny if I had to go say 30 miles on the LIE tom tom devides the expressway into sections that I think has to do with how the highway shows different exits or sections when the expressway was made. So it may say drive 8 miles and continue onward on this highway and then show the next section and the miles you have to drive on this section. However if you touch the screen it will tell you the total miles you have to drive on this highway until your next exit. so you know how far to the exit even though it devides the road into sections. At the exit the picture of the exit with blinking arrows actually show what lane you should be on for the exit plus with IQ routes tom tom really works well.

what do you have the routing set to.....fastest route, shortest route etc??

if you have it for shortest route, this might well happen. also "avoid freeways" as your routing would make this happen....

You're talking about an "exit only lane" warning. Tomtom tells you which side to stay on so that you aren't accidentally in an exit only lane. It is very useful in unknown congested areas where you don't want to be accidentally stuck in the wrong lane and forced to exit.

There's a preference to shut it off (disable "keep to highway") in speech preferences, but it seems to be broken.

Ask a Question