Newbie needs TomTom advice.....

Hi...

I am inquiring to TomTom users to give me details in order to help me pick the right GPS unit for my needs.

I recently acquired a Garmin in order for it to be used as a proof of concept within a rural ambulance service I am a member of. However, we found the Garmin maps are not up-to-date with the E911 streets/avenues for our service county even though the county has been E911 for a few years now.

I spoke with a TomTom agent today and she told me that TomTom allows the user to edit street names.

I am wondering if anyone has used this and if it really works as easily as described, etc.

I also need to know how the POI functionality works on the TomTom too. I know for garmin I can create a .CSV file and then upload it into the Garmin device using some software they have. Does TomTom have something similar?

Mapshare allows you to edit street names and even traffic direction as well as block streets. The POI's are every bit as easy and complete as Big G's, maybe more so. The latest version of the software and maps even allows you to enter speed limits and has "advanced lane guidance" to show you which lane to be in. I don't know how useful that would be to you but it's available.

Street Edits...

How easy are the street edits?

do they have to be done on the device itself or is there desktop software that would also allow it too?

My issue is I need to make updates at a county level which is about 660 square miles. So there would be many updates....

The addressing is quite simple. North/South are avenues and East/West are Streets.

keep the advice coming.....

do they have to be done on the device itself or is there desktop software that would also allow it too?

My issue is I need to make updates at a county level which is about 660 square miles. So there would be many updates....

The addressing is quite simple. North/South are avenues and East/West are Streets.

please keep the advice coming......

See here for what can be done via Map Share, and whether the changes take immediate effect on your device.

You can make the changes on the device itself, or via "Operate My Device" using the Home software on your desktop (the displayed map size is the same as that of the device though - it's not full screen). But the changes made are applied only to that device - the one you make the changes on, or the one that's connected while using "Operate My Device".

If you choose to upgrade your maps to a newer version released by TomTom, you may find that all of your changes are wiped out, as Map Share updates are specific to each map version. You will eventually need to update your map, since Map Share doesn't allow you to add streets to the map and have it take effect immediately.

I don't know of any supported way of replicating the changes you make to other devices, though there may be a file or group of files that you can copy from one device to the others. If there are files you can copy, this may get you around the loss of changes that goes with updating maps.

Can TomTom be further enhanced by any third party software?

I was afraid that with map updates I could lose the mapping information. Seems we cannot have our cake and eat it....

Ask a Question