newb needs some help

Guys I know minimal about navigation...I come from two different garmins. Had good luck with them but decided to try a Tom Tom. I like the advanced options over the garmin, but hate how I cant find anything.....autozone, murrays, advanced auto, cabelas (biggest tourist attriction in my state), gander mountain, walmarts. Im really confused on why none of these POI's show up when I search any POI category. My $140 garmin will find these places with ease. I travel a lot with work and need something that I can use with ease and find most places with ease. If im not searching correctly please let me know.

Guys I know minimal about navigation...I come from two different garmins. Had good luck with them but decided to try a Tom Tom. I like the advanced options over the garmin, but hate how I cant find anything.....autozone, murrays, advanced auto, cabelas (biggest tourist attriction in my state), gander mountain, walmarts. Im really confused on why none of these POI's show up when I search any POI category. My $140 garmin will find these places with ease. I travel a lot with work and need something that I can use with ease and find most places with ease. If im not searching correctly please let me know.

LOL at least I'm not the only one who couldn't find Walmarts. I searched for Autozones and Advance auto parts and they came up on my ONE XL. What city and state are you located in? I'm using a POI database that's MUCH bigger than the normal ONE models so I'd like to see if I could find any other places you can't find. If they turn up, then it would be a great idea for you to download the huge POI database which I think came off of a GO 920 model.

LOL at least I'm not the only one who couldn't find Walmarts. I searched for Autozones and Advance auto parts and they came up on my ONE XL. What city and state are you located in? I'm using a POI database that's MUCH bigger than the normal ONE models so I'd like to see if I could find any other places you can't find. If they turn up, then it would be a great idea for you to download the huge POI database which I think came off of a GO 920 model.

I just want a GPS to work out of the box....I cant believe that it doesnt the proper POI's. To be honest I dont think im going to waste any more time with it, im going to return it today and get the garmin NUVI 260.

ok great information, so how much work, or what do I have to pay to get all of the common POI's? Can I simply plug in get all of these updates for free? Sorry for probably sounding so ignorant:confused:

ok great information, so how much work, or what do I have to pay to get all of the common POI's? Can I simply plug in get all of these updates for free? Sorry for probably sounding so ignorant:confused:

The POI database is free. I have the file if you want. I also have a link to it where another member or mod uploaded it. You will need at least a 2GB card to store it though. You will not get the large POI database to fit on the internal memory.

I found out that mine does not have an external port for memory.....so I hate to say it, but its looking like I may be up a creek for trying to upgrade my POI's. This sucks:confused:

But there are plenty of sites on the web where you can dl and install custom poi's which don't take up a great deal of space. For example, here is one site: http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/

Select USA as the country and drill down by category.

If I want to add POI's for autozone/murrays/autoparts stores where would I go? Also what about outdoor sport stores...ie. gander mountain/dicks sporting goods/gun shops?

Actually I just found out that there ARE Walmarts on the tomtom. This whole time I have been searching for "walmart" and was about to download the POI for Walmart and noticed on the website it's spelt "wal-mart" so then I decided to search on my tomtom for "wal-mart" before downloading anything and WOW, they ALL came up around my house. They don't just list Wal-Marts, they also break the list into vison centers, supercenters, etc.

If I want to add POI's for autozone/murrays/autoparts stores where would I go? Also what about outdoor sport stores...ie. gander mountain/dicks sporting goods/gun shops?

Another place to look, is going through TomTom Home. From Home --> Add maps, voices, etc. --> POI's. They have pages of free POI's that users have submitted. I think They are alphabetic, so not too hard to find specific.

I also use a POI database that pretty large. But though you don't have a card slot, you might still be able to fit it on your unit. I thought you're unit came with 2GB internal (and I only have a 2GB external card.

Look at mow much room is on your device (either through Home or using windows explorer).

Rick

Another place to look, is going through TomTom Home. From Home --> Add maps, voices, etc. --> POI's. They have pages of free POI's that users have submitted. I think They are alphabetic, so not too hard to find specific.

I also use a POI database that pretty large. But though you don't have a card slot, you might still be able to fit it on your unit. I thought you're unit came with 2GB internal (and I only have a 2GB external card.

Look at mow much room is on your device (either through Home or using windows explorer).

Rick

Those POI files you can get from HOME are semi-OK... I downloaded about 20 of them and they all were useless since most of those files are made by people, and tend to include only their town/state. Many of them do show what state/city they are meant for, but others will just have the business name, and when you go to search for it, nothing will come up because there are only listings for one city, and not the whole company chain.

Those POI files you can get from HOME are semi-OK... I downloaded about 20 of them and they all were useless since most of those files are made by people, and tend to include only their town/state. Many of them do show what state/city they are meant for, but others will just have the business name, and when you go to search for it, nothing will come up because there are only listings for one city, and not the whole company chain.

While incomplete lists happen, it is not always true as some really are very complete. I have had better luck with non-TT Home POIs but did find useful local POIs there such as Montreal's subway stations, state owned liquor stores etc. I have yet to discover a general Autozone retail chain outside their web sites but it may exist. Some chains even provide their own POI or very receptive to create their own.

Ask a Question