newb needs help. my compass is wrong???

Discussion in 'General TomTom Discussion' started by dub976, Jun 13, 2008.

1. dub976

dub976

TomTom Model(s):
    one v3
    my compass is showing east as west and west as east. north and south are ok though.

this all started after doing the update. i noticed that the arrow changed style, shape, and color.
    the compass on the status bar is working correctly.

so now what?

dub976, Jun 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. dub976

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520

If you look carefully, the compass in N8 **only** points North. Try visualizing laying the unit flat down on a surface and the compass direction will be just as with a printed map, always pointing North.

You CAN get the direction in degrees to display on the status line with a preference change, but that eliminates another useful item of info being shown there. Hopefully, a re-release of N8, whenever it comes, will turn the compass functionality back to that in N7.

dhn, Jun 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. dub976

dub976

TomTom Model(s):
    one v3
    so basically the normal compass is useless now? can i just delete everything off my tomtom and use my back up from before? will that remove n8 and let me go back to n7?

thanks

dub976, Jun 13, 2008
  4. dub976

gkal1964

Downgrade

Yes: read on

I called tomtom about this and they said they removed the old compass and put this one in for us! Thanks for nothing. I lost my backup file so the tech was able to give me directions to download the old file and restore my tomtom back to the old compass. I lost my favorites in the process but I have the old compass back. I told him I am very mad about this, he said they take a lot of feedback and this is something the customers wanted. Huh? How is possible that not having compass options is better? Last time I checked this was a navigational device the compass should be one of the most important features. He also told me they are taking a lot of calls and complaints about this so if we all call maybe we can get this put back in. I got the compass back but I can't run the latest software now. This is not what I paid for.......:mad:

gkal1964, Jun 13, 2008
  5. dub976

dub976

TomTom Model(s):
    one v3
    thanks a lot for the quick relpys.

dub976, Jun 14, 2008
  6. dub976

bobaloolie

Wow, no kidding. I thought my compass was showing opposite as well (I'm sure it is... it's not getting north right from what I can tell.)

Indeed, this is a GPS, and a functional compass is kind of, like, you know.

bobaloolie, Jun 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question