New XXL 550TM

You can't. TomTom does not accept alphanumeric street numbers.

See what happens if you just eliminate the hyphen.

Another way that sometimes works is in the Browse map view, see if you can slide the blue flashing icon to a street you know has hyphenated addresses (you may have to zoom in on the map) then, once there, tap the blue icon on the bottom of the screen and arrow right twice. The address should appear. Note the format of the street number.

(at least these would be the keystrokes with a 720 appication).

This is still for the 540TM...
1) Address entry did not work either way.
2) Can I add a POI to an existing category ?
3) I forgot where I saw this, can you delete a single past route setup or only all of them at once?
4) Am I getting an error trying to activate my lifetime maps because the site is down for maintenance ?
5) I got an error ("No maps found") after I updated the current map (not the one which should be out any day) and finally just restored all the info from my Windows Explorer backup thanks to you. All my settings were saved but would my map activation be saved as I had done it a few days ago? I saw in Explorer that the newly downloaded maps were on my device, but I couldn't get them.
6) Thank you

Last edited:
Got my 540TM last week. So far I like it. Coming from Garmin world, got some question though.

1. How do I check if lifetime map update is working? After entering the code, it gave me an server error. It allowed me to download a new map, but new map should be available to users just bought a TomTom within 30 days anyway as part of the "latest map guarantee", so I'm not sure if the lifetime update is valid or not. Is there a way to check? "MyTomTom.com" website doesn't list my device, and it seems there is no place to add a device.

2. Very slow map rendering. Well, the actual navigation map is fine, but the "show route summary" is very slow (takes like 20 seconds to render, and you can see the roads appear section by section slowly). Maybe because there is too much information to render in busy DC metro area? Is there any way to limit the details to render in the map view to speed it up?

3. Try to send an email to TomTom. Click on the support button after login, and get this error:

Fatal Error
Access Denied
Reason: Client address is not authorized.

what? Googling the error message didn't turn up anything useful.

4. Battery life seems very short. Playing for like 1 hour results in low battery warning. Normal?

thanks in advance!

1. How do I check if lifetime map update is working? After entering the code, it gave me an server error. It allowed me to download a new map, but new map should be available to users just bought a TomTom within 30 days anyway as part of the "latest map guarantee", so I'm not sure if the lifetime update is valid or not. Is there a way to check? "MyTomTom.com" website doesn't list my device, and it seems there is no place to add a device.

TomTom's site is down this weekend for most pages and you'll need to call support at 866-486-6866 in the new week to confirm the status.

2. Very slow map rendering. Well, the actual navigation map is fine, but the "show route summary" is very slow (takes like 20 seconds to render, and you can see the roads appear section by section slowly). Maybe because there is too much information to render in busy DC metro area? Is there any way to limit the details to render in the map view to speed it up?

Do you have many different poi categories set to show on the map? If so, that can slow down the screen refresh.

3. Try to send an email to TomTom. Click on the support button after login, and get this error:

That's a result of the site being down as mentioned in my first response.

4. Battery life seems very short. Playing for like 1 hour results in low battery warning. Normal?

Well, it does seem somewhat low for a new device. Maybe 1/2 what I'd expect for a new battery/unit. Your model has a battery saving preference option. Have you looked there?

Thanks dhn. That was fast!

I'll run down the battery and charge it again. Battery life seems quite short to me, even though I didn't use any of the power saving modes.

None of the POI is displaying. It is fast displaying short routes or 'simple' routes, For example, from DC to Florida, just very slow displaying from one side of DC metro area to the other side of the town. My guess is that it tries to render too many local roads.

Thanks for the maintenance notice. I'll try again later.

To be truthful, TT is aware of relatively slow rendering with the recent applications. Maybe a future one will improve the situation.

Anyone heard when the 540TM will be released yet (or has it been already)? I'm looking at the 540TM (or 540M) World edition. Last time I talked with TomTom they gave me conflicting information about the 540TM (and 540S) and no indication as to when it would be released but then told me to check with Amazon or Google for a seller of the 540TM???? I checked on Amazon and Googled to buy it and even checked TomToms web site (which said "out of stock") but can't find it for sale anywhere!

Last edited:
Received an email from Amazon.com that the TT 540TM World Edition is now available for 272.99 USD so I guess it has been offically released. I checked the TomTom site but they still list it as "out of stock" (and price is about $40 USD cheaper on the TT site).

Anyone seen it for sale in Canada or any other store front shops in the US yet? Not sure if I shoud wait or buy one in the US or from Amazon (I'm heading for the US in about a week).

Hello,

I read the complete post.

My purchas eoption are 540TM VS 550TM.

Some wrote taht the 550 is less customizable than 540.

What did you mean with this.

What "things" you can?t cuatomize??

Thanks
Eduardo

The 550 comes with EasyMenu which means many fewer user options. TomTom eventually allowed for more options but not as many as the full menu models. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/23136-major-update-easymenu-devices.html

That still gives just 3 pages of preferences (the 540 has 6)

But, if you wish to create a custom menu giving many further options, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...ow-get-more-menu-options-models-easymenu.html

and read through the entire link to see what people have accomplished.

Ask a Question