Is my TomTom XXL 550TM messed up?

Everything is fine until I put 3rd party Poi?s on it such as Best Buy, Lowes and Home Depot. After that it takes 5 times longer to find a satellite signal, and when I go to press the Manage Poi?s icon on the screen it'll hang up until it restarts itself. Doing a hard reboot does not help, but deleting those Poi?s makes it quick and responsive. Just an added note, it acts fine with custom Poi?s like Home and Work that I put on via the device.

Any Ideas, or is my TomTom F@&KED?

One of the new 3rd party POIs you added may be corrupted in some way. Best way to test is to add them back one at a time until you find something that chokes your unit. Then avoid that one and enjoy the others.

Also, be aware that viewing too many different POI on the screen at once can cause your unit to be very sluggish.

I will try that, but shouldn't Tom-Tom be checking what is available thru Tom-Tom Home. Are all the newer GPS units laggy like this one? I have a Tom-Tom from 8 years ago, it's a 3.5" CRT touch screen "I forget the model" but it's so fast and responsive. When you drive it keeps up with you on the screen. This new model has a refresh rate instead. Just wondering?

I will try that, but shouldn't Tom-Tom be checking what is available thru Tom-Tom Home. Are all the newer GPS units laggy like this one? I have a Tom-Tom from 8 years ago, it's a 3.5" CRT touch screen "I forget the model" but it's so fast and responsive. When you drive it keeps up with you on the screen. This new model has a refresh rate instead. Just wondering?
No - not laggy by nature, but all of them can be slowed down. Again, it's usually an issue of having a large number of POI categories on display. Remember what your unit is doing as you drive -- it must constantly search through "open" POI categories for any that might fit within the current driving view. Especially if POI categories are large, that's a lot of work.

What I was implying is this one is slower brand new, just out of the box than the older one i had. When you go and type something in there's a pause before the letter pops up. The old one was and still is right on, just like typing on my iphone. Thats all I was saying, I didn't know if other models were much faster that this one.

The newer models have a lot more to do on the same wimpy processor as older Tomtoms. They have higher resolution graphics, IQroutes, etc.

3rd party POI files certainly slow it down.

However, you don't need Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Unlike earlier models with 1GB of memory, the newer models with 2GB have enough space that all those POI are on the preinstalled map.

Ask a Question