New XXL 550TM

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540TM Navigon 7200T
Would someone be so kind and tell me the difference between the soon to be released XXL 550TM and the XXL 540TM ? They list for the same $259, though the XXL 540TM had dropped to $195 before the announcement of the XXL 550TM release. Thank you.

XXL550 = 5" screen
XL350 = 4.3" screen (did say 540, mistake)

Not sure when or if these will hit the USA. Tomtom pulled the info off the web.

Last edited:
Tom Tom prematurely announced 'coming soon' for the 350TM and 550TM models. (All references were removed a few hours later).

If and when they are available, the 350 and 550 units will have what TT calls 'EasyMenu' as an interface.

You and I might refer to it as 'dumbed down'. :cool:

Think that is the only difference between the x50 model and the equivalent x40 model offering the same T or M or both options.

What would be the benefit of purchasing the 550TM over the 540TM ? If you say it is a "Dumbed down" menu, would that mean it is more like the top market share company's units, or would there be less customization allowed for it ? Thanks for your quick replies ! Is there a reason to wait for it, or should I get the 540TM now while the price is down to $195 US ?

It will have less customization than other higher end TT models. I would take an equally equipped x40 (with T & M) in a heartbeat.

"It will have less customization than other higher end TT models. I would take an equally equipped x40 (with T & M) in a heartbeat. "
Thanks (!!) dhn for making up my mind and also so I won't have to wait for reviews on the 550TM. I want maximum customization.

My guess is that Tomtom is going directly after the Nuvi customers with the 2010 lineup.

They launched lifetime maps, traffic, and easymenu. Easymenu has "Plan route" and "Browse map", sound familiar?

Less Features = Simpler, which may appeal to some. At least there are the whole range of traffic/map options for both the 540 and 550 so you can choose which you want.

The XXL550 has a menu that looks like this, similar to the Tomtom START.

The XXL540 (or just plan XXL - they're unnumbered in Europe), has the traditional menu with the 6 big icons.

Ordered the TT 540TM yesterday, should have it tomorrow. Thanks to all in these forums for letting me know the differences between the models and that the 550TM would not be as customizable. I promise to back it up out of the box the way mentioned in the forums, not TT Home. I saved many notes from these forums and will quickly correct the error in speech, etc. posted. I hope it's all everyone has written about it. I do not need most of the ultra-fancy things, so I should be very happy with it.

Last edited:
And after the Explorer backup (good person!!), don't forget to wait a couple of days till the 850 map is out before you go for the LMG.

And then make another Explorer backup...........

By the way, when you get it out of the box, charge it with the USB cable for a good 2-4 hours.

dhn - Just opened the box on my 540TM and followed your backup instructions - a cinch. Thanks !!

dhn - Just opened the box on my 540TM and followed your backup instructions - a cinch. Thanks !!

Hey it's cool to meet another xxl 540 member! I love mine, I have had mine since Jan. and use it all the time. I like the larger screen and the flip and go mount. The features are awesome! I'm sure you'll love yours too!

Just going through yesterday all the possible setups on the 540TM and seeing the great screen (without changing the colors) I can't understand people giving it bad reviews (on other TT forums). Unless the routing is worse than the others (which I doubt having IQ routes), this should definitely be a "keeper" for a long time (with the lifetime maps and traffic). I didn't try the traffic yet, but does it need to be set up ? I entered the passcode for the lifetime maps but did not see anything for traffic. Would it work like others with free traffic as long as I use the car cable with the antenna in it ? Thanks

When you plug the charger with the built in antenna into the unit, you should get the traffic bar on the right side of the screen.

I've never used traffic on mine, but from my understanding the gps uses the time of day and location and estimates the amount of traffic and displays it on your screen.

I've never used traffic on mine, but from my understanding the gps uses the time of day and location and estimates the amount of traffic and displays it on your screen.

IQroutes is "historical traffic" which is used on newer Tomtom models like the 540. It uses time-of-day and day-of-week and historical data to estimate traffic.

The 540TM includes a special traffic antenna in the power cord. Clear Channel (which owns news radio stations) broadcasts realtime traffic speeds which the antenna picks up, and the 540TM uses that in addition to IQroutes.

Looked fast didn't see it. How do you enter an address which has a hyphen in it (ex: 22-45 Main Street) ? Thank you.

Ask a Question