New user is really confused ...

Hello all,

I bought my first gps yesterday, the TomTom One Xl-S. While it guided me home on a long drive perfectly I have a question or two about other functions.

I apologize upfront for being a complete newbie. I'm sure there are many threads with the answers I need.

I need some basic info on POIs. I was under the impression that right out of the box I could search for nearly anything by typing it in (bookstores, gamestops, salons, etc ....). But so far it seems my searching is limited to certain restaurants, gas stations and big box retail stores like walmart and office max.

I then did a little reading about POIs on this site and tried to d'load/install some custom ones. While the category shows up, the actual stores don't seem to be in the maps, I can't search for any of my newly installed stuff.

Did I misunderstand what these custom POIs really are? Are they just a category listing or should I now be able to search for any of store 'x' in the country now? I'm fairly sure I installed everything correctly, seemed simple enough!

Anyway, sorry for the long explanation, I'm just disappointed that I can't find lots of businesses I'd like to find and want to know how to remedy that asap.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Best,
Miles

Welcome. If you're sure you've gotten the POI's and they're in the correct (poi) folder then you should be able to search for them. One hint on searching is to only type a few letters of the name. One caveat that will get you is that some poi's are spelled differently than you might think i.e. Wal*Mart is Wal-Mart so a search for Walmart won't find anything but a search for Wal will find them.

Some of the tomtom units have a far larger poi database then the one's......

another user here posted the larger databases and many of us are using it. It contains found everything I've looked for so far.........you'll need a 2gig card to store the operating system, maps and this database though.......

Go here and download these files.... should have everything you need.

unzip the two files and copy them to the map folder on your unit replacing the two files already there. Use a file manager to do the copy, not home.

post #64

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4998&page=7

Last edited:
thanks for the help everyone. i've switched to a comparable garmin unit which works exactly the way i thought it would and is even less expensive!

take care.

Ask a Question