New user in Dallas area

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 125
We have an older Garmin so when the TT One 125 went on sale for $99 I decided it would be a nice family gift. We haven't used it or updated anything yet but was looking at it and was surprised that it was giving us strange, convoluted routes from our house even though we picked the fastest route. :confused: I'm not all that worried about things close to home but wonder if it will do the same thing when going to somewhere we don't know. Any tips?

I picked this because of a couple of features that the Garmin doesn't have, a new map, and and the small size but this does worry me since I really haven't had that issue with the other one.

Welcome to the forum. Before doing anything else, make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents ensuring hidden files/folders are showing. Don't use Home.

No gps will outdo local knowledge of an area; consequently, it may select a route where you would 'know better'. Higher end models with firmware 8x and maps at the version 8 level have what is called IQ routing to take into consideration 'real world' driving experiences when planning 'fastest' routes.

The 125, being at the low end of TT's models, doesn't have that capability.

I have to agree. I'm in Dallas as well, I purchased a garmin 205w and TT One XL (amazon was offering it for $99 several days ago).

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, TT did give me a very strange route for a simply task, and seems have some wrong POI addresses (I reported it through mapshare, waiting for the verification). But garmin made mistakes as well, it gives wrong locale of a supermarket.

I guess none of them are perfect, and for most of my tests, both eventually get me to the destinations.

I think TT's functions are better than Garmin, while garmin does have more POIs and speed limit data and better graphics.

Overall, I don't think you need to worry about routing too much.

Ask a Question