New Unit - "Latest Map Guarantee" is Bogus

I got a 720 a week ago. The paperwork that came with it says Latest Map Guarantee will allow me to get the latest map for 30 days. When I follow the instructions of updating the map from Home - Tools - Latest Map Guarantee, it tells me my map is up to date.

When I look at the purchase map screen, it tells me my map is 6 quarters old and they will sell me an up to date version. WTF? According to the 720, I have map version v710.1584, isn't there a v8.351 version out?

Any advise? Do I need to call for help?

Thanks,
Walt

Yep, you do......866-486-6866.

Be aware:
1. Refurbs do NOT get the LMG in North America (or Europe, now) as a matter of TT policy. Having said that, many DO get the latest map after calling Support.
2. On the TT website somewhere, TT states that the LMG is valid for unit less than 9 months old, if new.

Knowing the above, be polite but firm when you plead your case.

The latest map is 830, the application is 8.351. If you upgrade your application to that version, perhaps through Home's update my unit, you'll get offered the latest map; if not, make the call.

If it's a refurb, call them and just say you're having a problem with the LMG. Don't mention it's a refurb. They will open a case and ask you to scan and attach a copy of your receipt to the case. I did that and within 3 hours they had added the maps to my account.

Yep, you do......866-486-6866.

Be aware:

[snipped]

2. On the TT website somewhere, TT states that the LMG is valid for unit less than 9 months old, if new.

[snipped]

Classic :eek:

So it's the customers fault (and the customer who looses out) if they go into a shop and buy a unit that the shop has had in stock for some time.

Refurbs DO get LMG if you have anything inside your box that mentions LMG. This was told to me directly by 2 customer care reps over the phone. They will want to see the card for proof. They will honor it 100%

People sometimes do also receive LMG depending on the reps mood at the time. Many just say "Here ya go" without that LMG card in the box.

As was said, try not mentioning you have a refurb.

[snipped]

[snipped]

So it's the customers fault (and the customer who looses out) if they go into a shop and buy a unit that the shop has had in stock for some time.

The GO 720 was discontinued over a year ago, so all 720s were shipped with maps that are 9+ months old.

So far Tomtom hasn't implemented the "9 months old" clause on its website. Tomtom phone support has always honored Latest Map Guarantee as long as the unit was a new (non-refurbished) model, or if a refurb had "Latest map guarantee" paperwork inside it.

Ask a Question