new TT GPS user - what is the proper way to connect PC

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340LMT
Hi

I am in transition from Garmin to TomTom and have my first TomTom PC interface basic question. What is the proper way to connect the device to PC ? Should it be connected via the USB cable while the device is ON or OFF ? Per TomTom Home instruction, it show to connect USB cable first and then turn on the device. However, this doesnot work with my XL 340TM. If I connect this way, nothing happen. However, if I connect it to the PC while the device is ON, it then give me the option splash screen to connect to computer or not. Just wonder is the instruction from TomTom Home outdated or it all depends on what model of the GPS.

Cheers
Allen

It normally shouldn't matter whether the unit is on or off when initially connected. Yhe key thing is to get the 'clunk' sound when the unit is connected to the pc and, as you say, getting the screen on the unit asking whether you wish to connect to the computer.

Just an update . This is i what I found out after trying different things : If there is a password setup on the device, then I only get the "Connect to PC" prompt if I connect the device to the PC while it is ON. If there is no password setup, then I need to connect the device to the PC while it is OFF and will get the screen when I turn the device ON after the PC connection. Thought I would share my experience.

Note: if there is a password on the device and connect to the PCwhile it is OFF, then the screen I got when I turn on the device after the connection is the Password entry screen. After the password is entered, it just stay as a normal operating device. No prompt for connection to PC or not.

Last edited:

Ask a Question