Italy vacation, new GPS user

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I'm off to Italy for a couple of weeks with my new 910 to lead me from Rome to Geneva (I know Geneva isn't in Italy).
From thosa of you that have been using their GPS, is it better to simply load in a number of custom POI, then set the routes when there, or should I attempt to put some itineraries together?
I have been playing with Tyre/Google Earth, and am very impressed with that combitation to plan out excursions.
Any feedback?
Andy

Bought the 910 myself for a trip to Italy in August.

If I were you I would do most of my research here and make itineraries on this end. It's real easy to add poi's using the browse map function. I would suggest using the TT Home interface to do this simply because navigating the map is easier with the mouse that with a finger, just my opinion.

Get enough of your research done here so you can spend your time enjoying Italy while over there!

Check out this site for Italian Poi's: w#w#w#.poigps.com/index.php (remove the #'s can post links yet :confused: )
You can Google translate it if you don't speak Italian, but it has a ton of It Poi's!

Buona Fortuna e Buon Viaggio (Good luck and Happy trails)

Sounds like a great trip. You will be amazed how much you appreciate your TomTom when having to navigate thru complicated European routes. It really takes the stress out of travelling in strange places.

Whenever I go abroad, I usually just plan ahead by finding any hotels I have reserved (or airports, etc.) and saving these as either Favorites or POIs. The actual routings for the next day I did each evening in my hotel room. Gave me something to do as I didn't understand the TV!

I never bothered planning out a whole trip in advance, because I often changed my plans on the fly.

I'm not very familiar with Italy's geography but just to let you know there might be some scenic routes you may want to look at freely available through HOME.

I've looked at those scenic routes, not very good routes. They are mostly set up for motorcycles and i think there were like 6 or 7 located mostly in the north. To me almost all of the routes you take there are scenic. But i can be sort of biased.

I've looked at those scenic routes, not very good routes. They are mostly set up for motorcycles and i think there were like 6 or 7 located mostly in the north. To me almost all of the routes you take there are scenic. But i can be sort of biased.

Yes, some have the motorcyle icon beside the routes but some others don't. It's just a suggestion.

Italy

I live in Italy if you have any questions or need any help with pois will be glad to help. Speed traps ecc.

Giorgio

PS I also work for Delta Air Lines come look me up at terminal C

my cell +39 - 3356128475

andyjstewart,

You should make sure that the Swiss speed camera poi's that came pre-installed with your 910 are removed. They have recently been made illegal in Switzerland and just having them on the device (enabled or not) is grounds for a fine and confiscation of your 910. :(

You will find them in the European map folder. The files names containing CH are for Switzerland. I think they are all called Radar_CH_*. Other countries are OK to have, just not Switzerland!

FYI, you can get a one-time free update of all the TT European speed cams. It is worth doing before you go. Just switch to the European map, connect to HOME and check for updates.

Thanks for the info gang, very helpful! I have deleted the cams that will offend the Swiss, and will check out the POI site (I've had a look, but can't get it to translate yet.)
I am starting to collect a number of POIs and get the addresses of hotels and such, and I expect we will fill them in as we go, with maybe a few pre-planned itineraries. I expect I will know much more about how to do things after the trip.
I've been driving around everywhere testing out the 910, which is great fun. Other than a few times where it tells me I'm driving in a lake, it has been behaving really well. Since I'm north of Montreal, on lots of "roads less travelled", I am impressed.
TomTom Plus tells me there is a software update, but Home tells me there isn't. I have tried to get on the Plus program, but haven't been able to, they may be having server problems. Also can anybody get the "675" maps I've been reading about? My NA map is 665, with I downloaded this week.
Andy

Ask a Question