New Tomtom user from Garmin

Just bought a new 720 from Wal-mart for CND$148.
Have a few questions
Does Tomtom have Topo map?
Is SDHC supported?
Can it play back video?
Can 720 BT pair with my PC to use as an external GPS receiver? How about using USB?
How do get the Lady to speak Canadian? (meters instead of yard)?
Why my time is always off 4 hours once I hit sync? I choose EST at the beginning.
ow do I add my current location to my favorite?

Thanks a lot.

Just bought a new 720 from Wal-mart for CND$148.
Have a few questions
Does Tomtom have Topo map?
Is SDHC supported?
Can it play back video?
Can 720 BT pair with my PC to use as an external GPS receiver? How about using USB?
How do get the Lady to speak Canadian? (meters instead of yard)?
Why my time is always off 4 hours once I hit sync? I choose EST at the beginning.
ow do I add my current location to my favorite?

Thanks a lot.

Welcome to TTF. No, TomToms can't utilize topo maps. SDHC cards up to 32 gigs are supported for the 720 with the latest applications. Don't believe you can do the connection for the purpose you want. I use Susan and she speaks in 'meters' but my settings for measurement are in metric. Strange about the clock. Make sure you have a solid gps signal when you do the setting. (we're still on EDT if that matters).

Also, make sure you've made an Explorer backup, not Home, of your unit's contents. And, if new, you have 30 days to get the latest map but update the application to the latest, 8.351 first.

Manage Favourites-->Add-->Current Location.

Thanks you.
I called TT support and got my latest map.
She told me not to hit sync button for time setting.
One thing I missed about Garmin is the voice from the little Streetpilot i5. My wife said it was so clear and loud.
I used Susan(English US). She did say yard. I will try again when I get to home.

So technicalli after app and map upgrade, I have a fully functional GO 730. Is this statement right?

Thanks again for your knowledge.

That is correct. The only difference between our 720's and 'real
'730s' is the colur of the bezel (all black for the 730) and background colour of the preference screens in the 730s.

Functionally.exactly the same!

And you got the unit for a great price. When I got my 720 2 years ago, it was over $500 CDN.

GO G730 now! Thanks.Start like it. I will work on VR function later today.
When the battery fully charged, do you still see about 1/10 staying white in the left side? Anybody can confirm?I am not referring to the tip of the battery symbol.

It would be nice if there is quick way(one/two hit) to add my current location to my favorate.

What you are seeing with the battery symbol is correct it never shows 100% with the recent Navcore loaded.

Try Change Preferences/ Quick Menu preferences and select the check box for add current position to Favourites - Mike

Welcome to the forum !

You will need to go in change preference then 4th screen over and click on set units to change it to metric , then the voice you chose will give you meters , kl , etc etc.

As far as time being off 4 hrs when you are inside the house away from a window it's just that your unit hasn't locked to satalight yet.

Last edited:
Once again. Thanks all for replying.

Get VR worked. Get BT reworked by resetting after upgrading app to 8.351.
To get VR work, you don't have to download files from page 1 if you have done LMG. It is under your PC tomtom/ home folder. Copy them to 720 NA_2G folder.
My battery last only 2~3 hours at most. Is it normal? I will try to disable BT and FM functions.

How do you like FM function? I have to change Freq from time to time in order to avoild the conflict. It could be dangous if you are driving.

Any comments?

2-3 hours is QUITE normal for the battery, especially with Bluetooth active. Mind you, your device was meant to operate with the car charger.

Installed tripmaster 2.5 and offroad 2.2. Trip master is working but no icon for offroad. I am aussuming they are using the same skin directory.

Hi qweasdzxc63, just follow your steps and got my device at same place (same price) :D. But i didn't figure out how to get the map update ( i get a prompt for pay europ map update). the support line is closed (take me a while to figure our were is the phone number.

Would you mind to let me know how to get my first (and only) free map update? Sales teld me they have update at aug, 2009. so I should see gold ear bridge. Please ^_^

Make sure the device is running Navcore 8,351 (the latest software available), connect the device to the PC and start TomTom Home, within the Home application click Tools/ Use Latest Map Guarantee to get your free map - Mike

Mike, oh thank you so very much, i finally got it, although I got a "your device already has latest map" :( i guess i will waste this only chance for free update in 3 month..

But thank you so very much for letting me know.. it is hiding pretty deep, isn't it? Basic, any thing not show on the main screen consider as hiding (giggles :D)

I am in the same situation, and I wrote to TomTom today, all I have to do is send them a copy of the receipt, along with some information about my new GPS, and I should be able to get the LMG.

oh my god, thank you mrmarkfr, i though that's the end of the story - i won't get it. Now i will give them a call and see how does is it workout :D

I got a response today from TomTom, and they have given me the newest map update.

We're debating on the $40/year upgrades for the maps once we have the newest, does anyone else have this membership, are you getting value from it?

Have submitted my first map correction to mapshare.
Found a bug. When I try to add my current location to favorite , it says "No GPS signal, Are you inside the building". In fact I was at the company parking lot and 12 satellites showing on the screen.

Question:
How do I cancel planned route? Sometimes it is annoying especially you are playing with unit.

Tee hee hee, finally got my new map, now the red message on right top corner of TomTom Home is finally go away.

I guess I will not go for the advance subscription, a local map should be good enough for me. It is just a peace of mind to have someone, i found an attractive male voice - giggles, to tell me turn to turn direction.

Thank you mrmarkfr, thank you mike, and qweasdzxc63 :D

See this link.

How do you like FM function? I have to change Freq from time to time in order to avoild the conflict. It could be dangous if you are driving.
The FM on the preinstalled application is good, all the way up to app 8.010. However in order to use the latest maps, you need to use either app 8.302 or 8.351. App 8.302 disabled FM. App 8.351 re-enabled FM, but has very buggy bluetooth support. So you have to pick your poison. For me, bluetooth is more important than FM, so I install 8.302 on the internal memory, and keep an SD card with my music and app 8.351 for when I get sick of Sirius/XM music.

I've found that Tomtom transmits the strongest on the lowest FM channels. Try as low a channel as you can. In the 80's range, sometimes Tomtom is strong enough to overpower a local station.

We're debating on the $40/year upgrades for the maps once we have the newest, does anyone else have this membership, are you getting value from it?
I have the subscription and find it valuable. Tomtom has been adding Lane Guidance at a very quick pace in the US, each successive map is much better than the last one as far as Lane Guidance is concerned. I've also noticed occasional improvements in IQroutes with each map update, too.

Last edited:

Ask a Question