New User : TomTom or Garmin?????????

Hi, I am a new user to this forum. I would like to have your suggestions on a Tom Tom purchase.

I am going to buy my first GPS. First I was leaned towards Garmin, but after some research felt Tom Tom gives almost the same functionalities as Garmin, on top of it for an affordable price. Now decided to go for TomTom. But now the question is which TT?

Let me give my wants -

I only want the core functionalities of a GPS. ie, accurate navigation, spoken directions with street names, next direction alert well ahead, fastest route, toll-free route, alternative route selection option, multi point routing, next turn direction icon, points of interests, emergency contacts list option, speed alert of the vehicle, latest maps, good internal memory for hassless future map upgrades, good battery life, a decent price etc.

I dont mind the following options if present in the system or not. i would buy even if below features are not available. i dont necessarily need these. 1. 14.3 inch screen 2. bluetooth 3. integrated FM transmitter 4. real time traffic. 5.mp3 player 6. SD card slot.

After some online surfing, found XL 340-S would almost fit my requirements. i decided to buy it, but finally on going through user reviews found this piece giving lot of troubles even for the first time map upgrade due to memory shortage of just 2 gb. I am planning to keep this purchase for atleast next 2 years, so i want something having a good memory so i would not be having any troubles for future map updates. it is a real deal breaker for me. i would like to know if TomTom has come up with any solution for this? is there any upgrade to the same product with improved memory? i couldnt find any. any of your info sharing, i appreciate greatly.

then my search went again, now came up with GO 720. the user reviews for this one is inviting. this possess the features i need. also this one has some options that i dont necessarily need, such as, bluetooth, FM, mp3 etc. but with the information i had and the user reviews i came across, seemed its a good buy. down thing being a little pricier. but the big jolt, it also has only 2 gb of internal memory like XL 340-S, am sure will be an issue for my map upgrades. do any of you aware any solution Tom Tom came up for this?

also now in a slight thinking if i should pull Garmin back to consideration. i earlier considered garmin 255/255w, but they dont give you the option of multi-point routing. i am really in a cross-roads which gps i should go for.

you guys know a lot lot better than me on the best gps for similar needs. have you got any suggestions on which TomTom model i can consider, which i missed considering? you should be knowing by now, how much i await for any of your help in picking up the right one. i appreciate your replies very immensely.

Yes but the BIG difference between a 720 and a 340S is that the 720 can use a sdhc card of up to 32 gigs IN ADDITION to the internal storage.

My 720 has a 4-gig card and my NA map resides on it. No fuss, no bother when upgrading the map.

Thanks dhn. I see your point, sd card would help in this case. having an external card would slow up processing speed some bit, but given the desired features available i wouldnt really bother abt it.

before i make the final decision, i would prefer to see if this question can be answered. so given GO 720 is a good option, do you/any one see if there is a competitive alternative to GO 720 within TomTom league itself?

because i am not full aware of the TT products, asking this question to avoid any later oscillations, "i could have purchased the other better one!!".

There really is no lag having the information on a sdhc card that I've noticed.

That said, the best thing for you is to log into the US TomTom.com site and click on gps products to see a description of what is offered and a description of the features of each.

You won't see a 720 listed since it has been replaced by a 730.

Ok so if you really donot mind your GPS saying drive 100miles and make a U-turn, than definitely Garmin.

I had one and first told me drive 50 feet and make a U-turn. So I decided to continue. It than went on to say, drive 5 miles, next 25 miles and finally 100 miles and make a U-Turn...

Well, let's just say my TomTom 930T is awesome.

Ok so if you really donot mind your GPS saying drive 100miles and make a U-turn, than definitely Garmin.

I had one and first told me drive 50 feet and make a U-turn. So I decided to continue. It than went on to say, drive 5 miles, next 25 miles and finally 100 miles and make a U-Turn...

Well, let's just say my TomTom 930T is awesome.

That can be said for both models, for example when driving from Edmonton to Vancouver via highway 16, between the Edmonton and the BC border my GO720 tells me to take a 32k detour north, then west for about 30k, then south back to 16, thus driving over 90k to cover a 32 k stretch on highway 16, which is a straight east-west freeway! Of course when you ignore it it constantly tells you to make a u-turn, then tells you to take every backroad you pass to go north etc., for some reason it doesnt want you on that 32k stretch of perfectly straight freeway. My Garmin nuvi 260 does not suffer from this internal brain-fart and plots a correct course on the same route.

Of course in TT's defence, with Teleatlas's (non)coverage of Alberta the map in the 720 is probably circa 1940, and that may have been the only option at the time.. no scratch that - because I remember now that is one of the few places in Alberta where you are not off the road 50% of the time with the TT, so the road is in their map, while an explanation for the unneccesary detour is not.

If you change the mapshare option to 'remove all corrections', does that change the routing?

If you change the mapshare option to 'remove all corrections', does that change the routing?

I'll have to try it next time, not sure if I even have that turned on though. On another note, just asked tomtom support if they can give me ANY idea when their Alberta coverage will be fixed, the answer was "soon"..

As far as reporting corrections on teleatlas map insight, that appears to be a waste of time for the most part. For example I have reported several times that they are missing developments/sub divisions that have been there for 3 decades, pinpointed on the map where they are missing, and even pasted links to Navteq coverage that shows the proper road networks.. and the response back has always been "insufficient data" or some BS like that..

Up till now I have been using my tomtom only for watching Trailer Park Boys episodes on tomplayer, but even that stopped working a couple of upgrades ago..

before i make the final decision, i would prefer to see if this question can be answered. so given GO 720 is a good option, do you/any one see if there is a competitive alternative to GO 720 within TomTom league itself?

Regarding the 340-s, Tomtom recognizes the 2GB limitation, and (after a month of fumbling) usually has no problems with map upgrades. So if you buy a map a month after it is released, you should have no problem with a 340.

The 720 is one of the best value Tomtoms in my opinion. While it used to cost over $400, it now costs around $150 online. Make sure you buy a non-refurbished one, so you get the free map update.

Comparing the 720 to other models, the 740 has much better traffic (the best available in the US right now). The 930 has european maps, a tunnel sensor, and a remote. And the 530s/540s have larger 5" screens. Otherwise a 720 will do everything any other model does.

Ask a Question