New tom tom one le user checking in!

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One LE
Hello everyone, as alot of newbies here I just got my new tom tom one le at BB on black Friday. Went there at 3am, but was able to get one.. here is my experience. I got home around 5:45am and wanted to check it out, so I had to do surgery to get it out of the blister package, roughly 10 minutes. booted it up for the first time and it found the satellites in about 60 seconds!.. I was sitting IN MY LIVING ROOM!!! played around with it and decided to download and install tom toms software. ok its installed, hooked my unit to it and it started downloading a ton of stuff... even had an update to the tom tom software itself. Everything seemed to go smooth, and once it was done I wanted to "backup my tom tom" I did that, (took awhile) then I unplugged my tom tom and booted it up.. seemed to start fine, then it said "NO MAPS". I said hua... so I shut it off and rebooted it and the same thing came up.. now I said oh shi*!:eek: I plugged it back in and did a restore.. and it was still saying no maps. The only comfort to me was I bought a 2 yr extended form bb for 20.00. I didn't want to give up though, so at 9am, I called tom tom tech support (The true test of a product) I spoke with a lady there and she had me download a file that resets the bios i believe.. didn't work, then she said, hold on, I need to check to see if you have any maps on your acct. she put me on hold, then she came back on (about 7 minutes) and asked me to hook my unit back to the computer and try the updates again. I did and there was a new download,, the maps! I d/l it and everything installed, I took it and crossed my fingers, booted it up and it worked! oh thank god I said to myself.. after that I d/l another things I could, new poi's some voices..and I am thrilled. so far I'm loving my new tom tom.. and it looks like this forum will be a big help as well. Tryton

I do have two questions though, I tried searching the forum but didn't find the answer.

1. how long is the battery life cycle before it has to be replaced.

2. how do you replace it? I didn't see anywhere you can open it.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I do have two questions though, I tried searching the forum but didn't find the answer.

1. how long is the battery life cycle before it has to be replaced.

2. how do you replace it? I didn't see anywhere you can open it.

Thanks again!

Can't answer that, but I bought my TTone v2 last spring and your story about the first day upgrade and lost map happened to me in exactly the same way. The support people came through with an apology and fix.

I think it TomTom's way of meeting their new customers. :confused: :D

Jane (my voice) and I have been travel companions ever since. :)

I don't think no one knows at this moment as no one has yet to experience their battery life cycle come to an end.

If it happens to come to an end before your warranty expires, you can send it to TomTom for a replacement.

Sorry

I am sorry you had such a bad first experience. I also purchased my TomTom on black friday. It is good that you joined this forum for help. Welcome.

Since there tech support fixed it in one call, I call that a great experience! No product is worth a damn in my book if the company is not behind it, and has quality customer service and support.. :eek:

I also bought my One LE on black friday and I also had the problem with no maps being found after unplugging it from my computer. The problem is (although they don't tell you) is that you have to click the "devices" tab at the top of the Home 2 application. The first entry is disconnect device.

After getting the sickening message that my maps had just dissappeared I reconnected the TomTom and and immediately got a non fatal error message. I then tried getting to the first page of the program and when I checked the contents of the TomTom everything was there. Then after exploring all the options mentioned at the top of the window I found the disconnect command. When I clicked it and allowed the system to work the problem was resolved.

Possible "No map found!" solution

If the problem here is the ?Map not found!? message on the TomTom device that appears after an update is downloaded, here is a solution.

The update does not automatically install to the device. It does, however reside on your computer. What you have to do is move it. The process:

1. Boot your computer and connect the device.
2. Open TomTom Home if it isn?t already open.
3. Choose Add Maps. Your update will come up. Choose it.
4. I had to ?remove items?? from my device to make room for the new updated US/Canada map. From the list I chose the old US/Canada map as the item to remove.
5. Ignore the warning that comes up and install the update.

I?m not terribly impressed with their tech support, especially after the experience Tryton wrote about. And their documentation is pretty opaque. This whole process needs to be more clearly explained in the update instructions and in the online support FAQ?s.

I too am glad this forum was here.
My first experience with TT customer service was good, but easy because the language was set wrong and there was no information in the manual about this.
My second, third, and fourth experience was not as chummy.
If it had not been for this forum I would have returned it and bought a Garmin

Ask a Question